MKV File Playback (iOS) and Panasonic PVR

Hi all,

I have just downloaded Infuse 6 for my (up to date) iPhone SE, and directed it to a selection of files on my Mac Mini. I’ve not paid for Infuse Pro yet, but when I get an Apple TV later this year if and when the new one comes out, I may do so then in order to use lossless Dolby & DTS files.

I have a couple of questions, if someone could please help me:

1. I have a few MKV files that a friend of mine made, and Infuse opens them fine. I’m new to making video files like this, but I have used Make MKV on the Mac to (yes) make MKVs from a DVD. When I try to open them in Infuse on my phone, it says I need to upgrade to Pro. VLC seems to open them just fine. As far as I can tell, non-Pro Infuse should open these MKV files as it does with my friend’s files, and I’m not aware I’ve done anything unusual. Have I done something wrong, or should Infuse open these files as VLC does?

2. I have a Panasonic DMR-BWT740 Freeview recorder upstairs with a hard drive of TV recordings. My Panasonic TV can see and use the files no problem over DLNA, but I can’t seem to get Infuse to. It sees the recorder and opens it, but then just gives me an unexplained error in connection. I don’t know what format the files are in, nor if I should expect Infuse to be able to decode them (are they Panasonic proprietary files?), but it would be great if I could get my Apple TV and phone to pick these up too.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers

Rob

Welcome to the forum!

The free version of infuse has several limitations on file types and codecs some of which are because of costs to license them like the Dolby codecs. This is probably why you get the “upgrade to pro” notice. There are other video codecs included to so that also my be why. As to why VLC can play them is a legal answer. VLC is a french company and doesn’t recognize software such as audio and video codecs as patentable so they don’t follow US law where Infuse has to as a US company.

There are many other benefits to going with the paid version (either by purchasing the Pro version or doing the subscription upgrade in the free version) such as having iCloud back up settings and some of the metadata gathered, streaming from cloud services, and several other goodies. Keep in mind thou if you do the purchase of Infuse 6 Pro that is only good for updates to version 6, not the updates to version 7.x whereas the subscription does give you all updates including major ones like V7 and V8 etc as long as your subscription is current. That makes the Lifetime subscription a pretty good deal and you don’t have to worry about remembering monthly or annual payments.

In regards to your TV recordings, there’s a good chance it’s a proprietary format and I don’t have access to one to tell. Someone else who has that product may chime in and verify one way or the other.

Thanks. I found this thread on the Panasonic PVR issue (Connecting inFuse to Panasonic DMR-PWT520), so it looks like it’s a no-go for whatever reason. It’s UPNP, so my vague understanding is that they should work with any client, but if it’s any consolation I’ve not managed to make anything else (including VLC) but my Panasonic TV and the Panasonic DIGA app see them either. But still, it would be a big boon if I could get them working via Infuse on Apple TV.

With regard to the MKV files, that’s fine as long as if by bringing up the request to upgrade it means it definitely would work with Pro. I would verify with a trial anyway, as I’m ripping all my files this way, but if it was something that even Pro couldn’t handle, I assume it would say so and not offer the upgrade?

Cheers

Rob

Cheers

Rob