Micro freezes when subtitles appear

Hello Infuse team,

I have a strange issue; micro freezes during playback. I couldn’t understand the logic of when exactly this happened but today I noticed that this happens at the same time when subtitles appear. (I watch all videos with English subs) So when the characters of the move/show are not speaking for a long time, everything is fine. Once somebody starts speaking and subtitles appear, the micro freezes appear at exactly same moment when the first subtitle appears. However, this doesn’t happen with every new phrase in subtitles, it happens arbitrarily, but almost always at the same time when the first subtitle after a long period without subtitles appears.

I hope this makes sense.

Below are my subtitles settings.

Best,
Peter

What version of Infuse and what device are you viewing on? Also how are you connected to the server?

Sorry, needed to mention this in the original message
Apple TV 4K TvOS 13.4.6 (17L570)
Infuse 6.4.6 (3127)
Streaming from windows pc using smb on Wi-Fi (I know this may sound like a network issue but videos are buffering without any issues, even the high bitrate ones)

UPD: I restored the Apple TV, still the same issue.
UPD2: I tried watching movies/series without subtitles and the issue is gone, so the issue is really tied to subs.

Good news: seems like I am able to watch movies in English without subs :slight_smile:
Bad news: the issue might not be isolated to only Infuse. I didn’t have a chance to check it properly, but it appears that I experience the same issue in the Netflix app. Though maybe good news for Infuse team :smiley:

If you’re seeing the same with Netflix on the ATV you may want to see if you’re TV has a Netflix app built in. If so give that a try and see if it may be a TV issue.

Just trying to divide the possibilities. :wink:

Yes, I have a built in Netflix app and I watched Netflix there because noticed similar micro freezes while watching the last season of DARK. Built in app had no issues.

Do you have a smooth motion setting on the TV? Also, maybe try a different HDMI cable.

What video settings do you have on the ATV?

Thanks for response.

No, all motion interpolation settings are off. Will try a different cable, but not sure about that because without subtitles there are absolutely no issues.

Here are the settings, but they change according to the video type (e.g. sdr/hdr)

UPD3:

• Dug deeper into the Netflix issue: the issue was different from this one and was resolved by disabling “Match Frame Rate” in Apple TV settings and disabling Real Cinema on in LG settings. Was not related to subtitles.
  • Restored my LG B8 to initial settings, turned off motion interpolation completely (TruMotion+RealCinema set to Off), and replaced HDMI cable, but the app still drops frames when some subtitles appear. Tried to film this on my iPhone, but the thing is the frame drops can easily be seen on 55-inch TV screen, but cannot be seen in the filmed video on the screen of an iPhone…
  • One more thing to mention, I don’t seem to have this issue with movies (24p), but deffo had it with 2 last series I watched, both were 25p per media info.

I have no idea what to do next :tired_face:

Motion interpolation settings on my TV:

I really appreciate you going the extra mile. I hate problems like this that really hide deep.

I know you disabled the match rate in the ATV settings but strictly as a test on the ATV settings I’m guessing you have it set under the resolution for 4K (or 1080p) and 60Hz.

Maybe try changing to the 50Hz setting and see if those 25p still have the issue? Again, this is just a swag but thanks for hanging in there. :wink:

Thanks for all your help.

I have tried the following modes:
4K SDR 60Hz w/ and w/o Match Frame Rate (MFR) and Match Dynamic Range (MDR) - still the same issue
4K SDR 50 Hz w/ MDR (not sure about MFR) - still the same issue
4K SDR 25 Hz w/ MDR (not sure about MFR) - still the same issue
4K SDR 24 Hz w/ MDR (not sure about MFR) - freezes much more often

I will try now to change to SDR 50 Hz w/o MFR (or w/ it? not sure, will try both), as you advised, and will let you know about the result. However, after 2 days of trying to normally watch the series :smiley: I finally found a workaround:
I converted all the episodes from 25p to 50p and it works! I will try the way you’ve advised and will probably continue with the converted files since I am stopping every 10 minutes to find a resolution and probably miss a lot in the series :smiley:

UPD:

• Changing to SDR 50 Hz, unfortunately, didn’t help
  • Converting from mkv 25p to mp4 25p also solved the problem. 25p mp4 is playing without any issues in Infuse.

Are there any ideas on what may cause the issue? Thanks.

Oh god, I have this very same problem. I was thinking I was getting crazy or something.

Do you happen to remember with which files do you experience the problems? (i.e. what format, resolution, fps, etc.)

General
Complete name                            : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 2.13 GiB
Duration                                 : 46 min 13 s
Overall bit rate                         : 6 603 kb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2020-06-25 18:25:57
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v23.0.0 ('The Bride Said No') 64-bit
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.6 + libmatroska v1.4.9

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4
Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 5 961 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 24.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.120
Stream size                              : 1.92 GiB (90%)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : E-AC-3
Format/Info                              : Enhanced Audio Coding 3
Codec ID                                 : A_EAC3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 640 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 187.500 FPS (256 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 212 MiB (10%)
Language                                 : English
Service kind                             : Complete Main
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Srt subs were external.

I am not sure but in your case the issue seems to be the 24 fps. Apple TV appears not to support it, so your issue might be expected.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2961262-apple-tv-4k-lacks-support-24-000-video.html?amp=1

In my case the issue is with the 25 fps content which should be played without any problems.

Could be, but I haven’t notice that error until the last week. Weird.

hello, for months that i have indicated the problem

Then looks like it won’t be solved in foreseeable future. I also noticed it around the same time you created your post. I just didn’t use infuse too much so didn’t pay attention. But now, when I use it, it is driving me crazy.