Metadata in new mediaplayer

Okay - how do we note the WRONG metadata for a DVD? I have a dvd of the 1981 cult french film “Diva” that is being recognized as the 2008 italian movie “Il Divo”. Close but no cigar…

Is there a provider we can report it to? 

Have you tried renaming the file as:
Diva (1981)
I usually find that adding the year fixes most metadata errors.

Nope - that didn’t do anything aside from delink it from the metadata source. Now it just shows a framegrab and “No Description”. 

So, just wanting clarification…

Does the latest media player (0.7.1) prefer local metadata in the MP4 file over metadata fetched from the internet?  Seems like sometimes local metadata is ignored.  What is the minimum amount of local metadata required for that to be used over internet metadata?  Thanks!

Interesting - how would I set local metadata? From what I’m seeing, it’s snagging the title and file length, then grabbing a screenshot a few minutes for the preview. Nothing discrete here. 

I use Meta-X on the Mac for adding metadata.  Works great.  http://www.kerstetter.net/index.php/projects/software/metax

I get the wrong metadata for one Video_TS/VOB file - The Cell. It comes up as Cellular.?.

I’m unable to play MP3’s with Media Player 0.9.  I can see all MP3 files (SMB network share) but when I select one mp3 to play, the metadata fetching process starts and skips through all mp3 files in the folder.  Fetching eventually stops, but we still cannot play any mp3 files.

Disabling Fetch Metadata does not solve the problem.

Can anyone point me to a log file location for debugging and a link to submit a bug report?

Thanks.

What kind of device are you streaming from?

Are you planning to add a libary view for tv shows like in xbmc ? ( season cover etc.)

James,

I’m connecting from AppleTV 2 to a Linux server over SMB.  The filesystem on the Linux server is Ext3, running Ubuntu 10.10.

Thanks for your quick response.

B.

Yes, a library view option is planned. It will probably appear in a post 1.0 version.

Would you mind sending in a bug report as described here: Bug Reporting - 2nd gen Apple TV - Firecore

James, Just saw the bug report link in your sig.  I’ll submit a more in depth characterization of the issue along with some sample files, later this evening (currently at work). Attaching a few of the mp3’s won’t be an issue, correct? B.

That would be great. Thanks. :)

hello,

i use atv flash black since beta6 and was very happy with the metadata fetching even though, there were occasional restarts.  since the “improved” metadata fetching non of my files is recognized anymore.  i have to mention here, that my filenames include the year and languages of the movie.

e.g.:  
Final Destination 3 (2006, DE, EN).mp4  or previously
Final Destination 3 - 2006 - DE, EN.mp4

so, would it be a problem to code some preprocessing to the filename before fetching the metadata?  like cutting out everything in parenthesis?

another nice feature in the future would be a browser by genre, artist, etc.  probably that is meant by the library in a post before.

cheers,
klaus 

Why not use a format like

Final Destination 3 (2006) [DE, EN].mp4

This would keep the year cleanly separated out from the rest of the additional information taht you want to include, and by using square brackets for this extra information I would think it is less likely to mess up the parsing for metadata.

Is there a roadmap posted somewhere?

I’d really like the library view, but I’d like to know what kind of priority it has over other features.

FEATURE REQUEST: The ability to add alternate/additional metadata providers.

Where do you save metadata?   I am stationed in a war zone, and he internet is not reliable and slow.  I thought Mediaplayer would scrape one time, and then save the results so next time i start Mediaplayer it would not need to go back to the Internet and retrieve metadata.  However, that is exactly what is happening.  Each time I start Mediaplayer, it goes back online and downloads the same info again.  That’s juts not a feasible option for me.

Peter