MediaPlayer: fetching of cover & info

I have the feeling that MediaPlayer keeps retrieving the Cover & Information every time again when the particular movie is selected. Meaning that the found stuff in not saved on the aTV. This because it takes such a long time to display.

Is this correct and will this (slow) process change in future?

I know that metadata and covers are MEANT to be cached, but I think there may still be issues in getting this correct.

I would like to see an option added whereby Media Player writes this information back to the folders on the share itself.  This would mean even when the data is not cached it could be retrieved locally rather than going back to the internet.  It would also mean that if for any reason one redid the ATV2 jailbreak and setup this infromation would survive intact.

That would indeed be the best & fastest solution!

Are you running the latest 1.1.1 version?

Metadata and cover art caching have been much improved in this version, and after one last re-cache should load virtually instantly the next time you visit the folder.

I am using 1.1.1. I cannot say with objectivity that it is not faster than older versions since it has been quite some time since I used the old version. So it can also be the (relative) slowness of the aTV.

Which version of AppleTV software are you running?

Version 1.1.1 should be dramatically faster than the 1.1 and earlier versions. For example, when using grid view version 1.1 took ~24 seconds to load a page of covers, whereas version 1.1.1 takes ~2.5 seconds. This speed improvement will be evident after a one time recache that is necessary to take advantage of the new database scheme.

Just checked and grid view is indeed faster. I will give this a try. My grandchildren’s will be staying the coming days and I will hear from them.

I have the same problem, even though I have left the apple tv on over night in Media Player within the grid view in my movie folder to ‘cache’, it still only loads each cover on a grid view when you scroll down.  Even then, changing the view to list, its clear that it is still fetching the data fresh every time!

I’m very disappointed as I only purchased the atvflash software (2 weeks ago so I assume I’m running the latest version you refer to?) to bypass itunes but still retain the features of meta data and cover flow. 

As a backup I have tried using XBMC but this doesn’t even display the covers after collecting data (and yes I have followed the convoltuted instructions)

Any help appreciated.

Now running version 1.3, no change!

I gone forward and back this weekend with it, it seemed to cache the covers but only if you let all the covers in a folder show before exiting, this resulted in all covers on the page showing almost instantly, then you scroll down and a second later all the next lot of covers appear in one go, this is much much better.  But after applying the media update for 1.3, its gone a bit slow again, the covers appear in order one by one, quite fast but not as quick as when they were appearing in a block all at once.  Oh well, at least they aren’t ‘fetching’ one by one again…

I have gone two steps forward and one back this weekend, it seemed to cache the covers but only if you let all the covers in a folder i.e. keep scrolling down until you get to the bottom with all covers downloaded before exiting, this resulted in all covers on the page showing almost instantly when going back in again, basically there’s a slight delay, then you scroll down and a second later all the next lot of covers appear in one go as a block, this is much much better.  However, after applying the media update for 1.3, its gone a bit slow again, the covers appear in order one by one, quite fast but not as quick as when they were appearing in a block all at once.  Oh well, at least they aren’t ‘fetching’ one by one again…