Media Serving help

I apologize in advance if these questions are too basic, but I’ve just recently decided to digitize my DVD collection and I’m giving myself daily migraines trying to figure things out.  First of all, I’m running Windows 7 at home with a WD MyBook NAS hardwired to my router.  I have about 500 dvds and want to put them on the NAS to view from the Apple TV, iPad 2, and iPhone 4.  I don’t want to have to have my laptop on as that defeats the purpose of the NAS.  Ideally I’d like to have the full dvd with menus on the aTV but just the movie on the iPad/iPhone.  I’m ok with two different versions of the same movie based on the viewing device.  Here are my questions for now.

1. What format would you recommend the dvd files to be in on my NAS?  Right now I'm converting them to MP4 but I've seen a lot of messages here about people using the ISO, COB, or VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS folders. 
  2. Is there a specific folder structure I should follow on the NAS?  Someone mentioned being able to group multi-set dvd's (ex. Star Wars, TV series, etc.) together.  I'd like to be able to do this.
  3. What ripper is the best to use on the Windows platform?  I've tried HandBrake, Aiseesoft, Aimersoft and another I can't remember.  They all seem to take 3 to 4 hours to burn a single dvd.  There's got to be a quicker way to do this.  At 500 dvds, this is going to take me a year to do at least.
  4. I'd like to include cover art, description, cast, etc. meta data with the movie.  How would I do this?

Thanks so much for your help!

Joe

Theres no quick way to do it on a laptop even on a water cooled super pc like i have is long.

Keeping all the menus is not really an option as on xbmc player you hold in ok and all the details come up.

Id try ripping them with handbrake thats what i use a full movie takes meabout 40 to 60 mins on my pc but it is super fast cpuat 4.5 6gb ram 480gtx all water cooled for speed.

Or more simple move join a newsgroup re-download the movies you own (not sure how legal it is to re-own another format u have already bought)

Thanks.  I’ve been copying the entire disc using DVD Shrink.  After I get about a dozen or so copied, I batch convert them to mp4 files using Aiseesoft’s DVD Converter Suite.  I tried Handbrake but I didn’t like it.  I have it down to a system now.