Media Player - Out of memory playing 720p MP4 file

When playing a 720p MP4 file the system reports low memory after a few seconds....  480p avi file works fine.

cheers...

Better memory management is one of the things we're working to improve.

In the meantime you can free-up some memory by selecting the 'Restart Lowtide' option found in the Maintenance --> Settings menu.

Same behavior with 720p AVI file 

Same here.  "Memory Warning.  Your device is running low on memory" error a few seconds after starting a 720p H.264 movie off an AFP share.

Clearly, Media Player still needs a lot of work  ;)

Ditto that encoded for Apple TV 2 with handbrake Pre-set and the first attempt was a low memory error. Restarted Low-Tide and it played fine at least for the first 10 sec then it stuttered on first scene and again every 4-5 seconds etc.... then seemed to level out a bit with a stutter here and there this is a heavily shared network however.... now that my daughter stopped watching netflix.... it seems to be doing really well.  Scratch that it crashed. Well I will try a new tethered re-start and see what happnens meanwhile I installed a twitter client through terminal so we will see how that works when I restart the ATV 2.

[quote="hitekalex"]

Same here.  "Memory Warning.  Your device is running low on memory" error a few seconds after starting a 720p H.264 movie off an AFP share.

Clearly, Media Player still needs a lot of work  ;)

[/quote]

Agreed but it is a great effort for a 1/2 price beta :) that’s why we do this stuff right? (playing with hacks and beta's)

+1 on this. I was trying to play a variety of media from an AFP share. I believe it actually caused a device reboot.

OUt of memory message as well.  

Will uninstalling any of the apps (ex. Plex) free up memory?  Wasn't sure if these are running in background using memory.

Ah nuts! I just bought firecore because I heard it could play the subtitles in anime mkv files the problem is they are all 720p. I made make it about 3mins in and get the memory warning. Guess i still get to wait since xbmc wont work either.

Gutted, didn't read up on this properly as mkv/mp4 HD streaming from NAS was the main reason for me getting an aTV, has there been an eta on the final version and are we any closer to figuring it out?

Same here, I got ATV flash for the same reason.  The best and most stable solution (other than converting everything into iTunes) at the moment for me seems to be Plex, but this does mean having a computer turned on for the media server. 

FYI - the upcoming Beta5 version should have much better memory management.

Stay tuned.

Same issue here with Beta 5.  Memory low after watching any kind of movie streamed over LAN.  Very annoying! :frowning:

I don’t understand this?!?! What is the point of having apple tv on a HD television and this software if we can’t play HD files?

This is nuts… I am very disappointed about this. Just spent almost a week trying to get this working and now I did manage I see I get out of memory errors cause the software can’t handel 720 files. 

I am about ready to dump the lot on ebay. Yuck!

I used pwnage tool, selected expert mode, general settings, then changed my root partition size. It seemed to clear that issue up for me.

Interesting, thanks for replying. Haven’t run into any more of those problems yet, will give it a try if I do. 

Regards,

Drew

what's the details

James said "In the meantime you can free-up some memory by selecting the 'Restart Lowtide' option found in the Maintenance --> Settings menu."....BUT IT IS NOT THERE

there is one in nito TV

what to do???

bbatw