Media Player disappeared after 1.6 update

Hi!

I’ve just updated both ‘Maintenance’ and ‘Media Player’ to v1.6 on my ATV2

Unfortunately the ‘Media Player’ option has disappeared from the main screen.

Any ideas what may have happened?

Maintenance 1.6-1

Media Player 1.6-161623

ATV 4.2.1 (2100)

Not sure why that should have happened - it does not seem that others are seeing this!

I would suggest rebooting the ATV2 to see if that helps.

Hmmm, can you send in a bug report? http://forum.firecore.com/topic/4291

That said, version 4.2.1 is actually pretty old, you may be best served by updating to a newer version.

hi James,

i’ll submit a bug, no problem → done

I figured the apple firmware might be an issue, so I’ll update. The funny thing is when I want to update through the update menu option I get a “your apple tv is uptodate”…

Mike

You cannot update via the Apple menu. If you want to do so you have to rejailbreak with the latest SeasonPass.

Itimpi: thanks, i figured as much

I found out that 4.2.2 is to old to work with atv Flash 1.6. i fixed the problem by following Jasson’s advice.

i simply just upgraded my ATV and then i made a jailbreak with seasonpass and now i got the “Media Tab” again.

Note: My iTuines came with an error: “apple tv could not be restored 1602” but when i rebooted my ATV i saw a nice little FC icon over the “Settings Tab” and now i can stream from my NAS again.

//Michael

Thanks, michael for your input

I’ll update to the current firmware

This is quite normal if one has the mains power cord plugged in while iTunes is doing the restore. Was that what happened here?

Upgraded to latest (ATV) firmware; resolves issue.

Seems 1.6 isn’t compatilbe with older atv firmware

iOS 4.2.2 here, just updated ti atv 1.6 and “media” is gone.

There should be some warning before updating in this situation.

I can’t update vía Apple menu. Should I update through iTunes?

My only concern is that I want yo keep my atv and xbmc settings!

What should I do?

Ceneon,

There is a way to store (“backup”) your settings, but I haven’t used that.

If you upgrade without backup up (like I did) you will indeed loose your settings.

Mike

Yes - that is the only way you can update the basic firmware by re-doing the jailbreak. Make sure that you download the latest SeasonPass that provides an untethered jailbreak of the latest iOS.

My only concern is that I want yo keep my atv and xbmc settings!

What should I do?

If you go into Maintenance->manage Backups you are given the chance to back up all your app settings and metadata. After re-doing the jailbreak and re-installing the apps you can use the complementary Restore option to get back your settings and metadata. There have also been posts about how you can do this manually via a SSH session, but why bother when ATV Flash makes it easy.

While you are there you might want to use the option to back up any digital signatures you have so that you can later revert to those releases if you want to.

A new build of Media Player has just been released that allows Media to work normally on older 4.2.x versions. You can update on the Apple TV through the Maintenance --> Manage Extras menu.

Sorry for the trouble.

Hi James, I’ve just tried to install Media Player as per your instructions and I get an installation failed error

The error is 2 lines of the below

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run ‘dpkg --configure -a’ to correct the problem.

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run ‘dpkg --configure -a’ to correct the problem.

Am I missing something out?

Thanks

Hmmm, it looks like one of the installations may have gotten interrupted.

Re-running the aTV Flash (black) installer from a Mac or PC should clear that up for you.

Perfect, that has done the trick.

Thanks, James!

After installing latest update to media player i cannot view any of my shares just does a reboot - help?