Media Player Crashing

Media Player will be working good for me and then once it sits idle for a while, when I try and play a file, it will soft crash and reboot.  Once it does, it works fine again.  I have tried setting the AppleTV 2 to sleep or not sleep and no change.  I do not have an exact time of how long it takes to crash after being idle.  It does not matter if after watching a video I exit back to the main AppleTV menu or stay inside Media Player.  It crashes all the same.

I am running iOS5 and as far as I know I have the latest aTV, I ran the updater a few days ago.

If someone can post a link to the instructions for getting a log I’d be happy to post one when I get home if that is helpful.

I’m having the same problem. I’ve even tried doing a total restore and re-jailbreak of appletv2 but the problem remains.

Is this common for others? As far as i can tell there is no applicable fix available. Driving me crazy.

If i keep going in and out of media player and attempt to play a file eventually the remote being unresponsive too and then if you move up/down/left/right with one click it will move two positions rather than one. Bizarre.

Can you check in the Maintenance --> Manage Extras menu and ensure that all items are up-to-date?

Everything is up to date from extras.
If it helps, my appletv2 came with 5.0 installed already.
I also have another appletv2 which i havent updated to 5.0 because i don’t want it to start crashing.

This used to happen to me in the first version (1.4 I think) for 5.0, and as far as I can tell this is what’s happening;

• After watching a video, you let the AppleTV sleep while you are still in the Media Player app.
  • The external HD your content is on goes to sleep as it’s not being used.
  • When the AppleTV wakes up, it’s in the Media Player App and has lost it’s connectivity to the external drive.
  • AppleTV soft reboots because it can’t access the files anymore.

As of 1.5, it doesn’t do this anymore (for me at least). Now when this happens, I see the a black screen with the Apple throbber (loading animated icon) and the Media Player UI kicks back in after it restores it’s connection to the external drive.

If you are up to date, maybe try submitting a trouble ticket to see if they can figure out why it’s not waking your HD up like it does on mine?

If you re-ran the installer from a Mac or PC that would update the ‘Maintenance’ item (as well as a few other components) but would not actually update the Media Player item.

You may just want to jump into the Maintenance --> Manage Extras real quick to see if there is an update available. If the word ‘Update’ appears next to the Media Player item then you can simply click it to install the latest version.

Unfortunately I haven’t had time to verify that I am running 1.5 but I think I did run the updater recently.  The external HD it is pulling the media from is set to not go to sleep, it is a machine that only serves media and has been the back end for a few devices over the past few years.  I have tried setting the AppleTV to sleep or not sleep and it doesn’t change anything.  After it sits idle for “some” period of time and I try and play a file it soft reboots.

Thanks for the help everyone, hopefully we can come up with something.

Update:  ATV2 wakes up, then when i try and select an app (podcasts in this instance) the unit has gone into a loop of reboot. Finally stopped after a few minutes. As soon as i start to select another app then it goes off again.

You can’t. Most modern drive’s have built in power management and changing settings in Windows/OSX don’t actually effect the drive powering itself down. Western Digitial drives are notorious for this. To verify this is really the problem, do this:

1. Let the AppleTV go to sleep while still in Media Player (10+ mins, most drives power mgmt kicks in around 10mins)
  2. Go to a desktop/laptop, access the external and open a video on it, when it starts playing
  3. Go to your AppleTV, wake it up and try to play something through Media Player

If it doesn’t reboot, that’s the issue.

You may just want to jump into the Maintenance --> Manage Extras real quick to see if there is an update available. If the word ‘Update’ appears next to the Media Player item then you can simply click it to install the latest version.

Do this, and make sure everything is up to date. 1.5 (latest) fixed this issue for me.