Media off USB-attached drives

What are the chances of being able to play media off USB-attached drives on ATV2?  Is this at all possible with ATV2 micro-USB port?

After reading many post on this I think the jury is out if this is possible, one thing I have noticed that you would have to obtain ultra slim Hdmi plugs as mine would no allow both at the same time

Good question. A micro-USB hdd option would be amazing, but ya, the HDMI cable I have is so fat at the end that I can't plug in a micro-usb at the same time.

Good market opportunity to make the cables...

Hi There!

I've cutted the plastic shell of booth cables (hdmi and micro USB) and they work properly!but I cant use them yet because of ATV cant read usb hd!

[quote="hitekalex"]

What are the chances of being able to play media off USB-attached drives on ATV2?  Is this at all possible with ATV2 micro-USB port?

[/quote]

I think I can safely say that this will never be possible.

Apple TV2 has USB device capability (which means that your computer can recognise the device and update it using iTunes, for example). For the Apple TV2 to read from another USB device it would need USB host capability, which it doesn't have. Streaming your content from a NAS or a file share on your computer is the only way to access your locally stored files - unless they're stored on the Apple TV itself.