Manual fanart

OK, so I’ve tried everything and I can’t change the fanart images for my movies. I’ve read the Metadata 101 guide, followed it to a tee (“movie title-fanart.jpg”) , and it just doesn’t work. I can change the poster image (though this doesn’t always work - it’s hit or miss), but the fanart that shows up in the “Watching” strip or the blurred background title page of the movie is totally stuck on the image it downloaded automatically. I have spent so much time on this. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

Would you be able to post a screenshot of how your files are named?

One thing to double-check is you are naming the images to match the filenames of your videos, which may be different than the titles.

EG

The_Dark_Knight.mkv
The_Dark_Knight.jpg
The_Dark_Knight-fanart.jpg

Another thing to mention is to try an “Edit” on the movie so that it will force pull the new image. Not sure if you add the file if it will look at any new images once the library has been scanned. James might be able to answer that.

Thank you for the response, guys. This issue is fixed through renaming the files exactly as James has written here in his reply. I was very careful with the file naming originally, and I closely followed the conventions per the Metadata 101 article in the User Guide on the site. I had named them:

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984).mp4
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984).jpg
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)-fanart.mp4.

I also tried the above with no (1984), in various combinations as the 101 article suggests you don’t need the (1984) on the -fanart file. Anyway, nothing worked. So I followed Jame’s response above, and changed the filenames to match. I replaced the spaces with _, removed the (1984), so now I have:

Indiana_Jones_and_the_Temple_of_Doom.mp4
Indiana_Jones_and_the_Temple_of_Doom.jpg
Indiana_Jones_and_the_Temple_of_Doom-fanart.jpg

This appears to have fixed the problem. Is the “_” instead of a space necessary? And the (1984)? The examples in the Metadata 101 article use both in the examples listed, so if the causes an issue the article may need to be amended.

Anyway, thanks very much for the help - LOVE the app, especially on the Apple TV. I’m a recent convert from Plex - I much prefer Infuse. Thank you!

I think you’ll find that the year is fine if you don’t use the parentheses around it. Also I don’t think you meant to have the mp4 extension on the fanart in your first set. :wink:

So it’d be

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 1984.mp4
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 1984.jpg
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 1984-fanart.jpg

I’ve had some names balk with the parentheses around the year in the past and removing them solved all the issues so you can try it both ways. About 85% of my movies are without parentheses and the remainder are with.
As to the underscore, they are interchangeable with spaces (or periods) but it’s easier to show an example with underscores so the space is easier to see.

I personally put “(date)” on all my movies so that I don’t have issues if a duplicate-named movie ever shows up randomly. It’s easier just to add the date when I rip that to find out later that there is a duplicate and then I have to go back and fix it.

Like NC Bullseye pointed out, it maybe was just the extension that was a problem. I tried out that exact combo and it picked it up immediately.

Yes, my mistake - the mp4 on the first set is a typo on this post. I didn’t have it on the file. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.