Maintenance program balks at removing OLD XBMC versions

Has anyone been experiencing a VERY difficult time removing 12.3 or 13.0-1 versions of XBMC through the MANAGE APPS section of aTV Flash 2.4? I have had to repeatedly "right arrow" / "Remove" countless times in order to remove old versions of XBMC.  A few times it just plain FAILS to remove and I find it necessary to completely re-JB and re-install aTV Flash once again.  Why is this such a problem?  Please, FC, become more of a solution than part of the on-going problems with add-on updating and XBMC program updating. 

Thanks,

A long time user and constant friend of all the FC crew and it's place in the streaming world.

Uninstalling just XBMC

SSH into your Apple TV (Using the same instructions from above to login). Then run:

apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

It will ask you if you want to continue:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Just enter "Y" to accept and continue.

Removing settings

XBMC will uninstall from your Apple TV but will leave certain things (databases and everything in your userdata folder) behind to make it easier if you wanted to reinstall. To delete those also run:

rm -Rf /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC

This will then be completely clear and XBMC will be removed.

Deleting XBMC dependencies

XBMC has three dependencies that it installs along with itself when you first install XBMC (org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock, gawk, bsdiff). After uninstalling XBMC you can also uninstall these 3 dependencies by running this command:

apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock && apt-get remove gawk && apt-get remove bsdiff

Thanks for the prompt reply and method.  I have asked this question because I have assisted many individuals in the set up of the Apple TV 2 and was hoping against hope that a SIMPLY, easy to follow method could be used at their home location to do the REMOVE and UPDATE from within the Maintenance program of Firecore aTV Flash install.  The majority of individuals I have assisted are NOT savvy enough to figure out the SSH method of "talking" with their units through their wi-fi home systems and laptop/desktop computers.

So far, it's 3 out of 4 conversions, with many many retries on the Manage Extras page of the Maintenance program to achieve the desired removal of OLD and install of the NEW XBMC.  Will keep trying with all the rest as they call for "help".

There is a program named nito installer which installs/removes XBMC, but I don't remember if it cleans up everything after removal.

i tied this from OSX Terminal and got this back.

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run ‘dpkg --configure -a’ to correct the problem.

mmmm, now what?

while in terminal just run that command line then continue.

Re-running the aTV Flash (black) installer from a Mac/PC will clear up issues like this.

Thanks James,

THAT is exactly what I ultimately decided to do—a number of times for my friends, et al. I am deeply involved in keeping 4-5 years of ATV2 units going and the recent 13.2 to 14.0/14.1 Kodi has been unusually problematic. The feature of back-up firmware has been a principal cog in the recovery scheme for all of the units to date.

thanks. that doed it. onto making kodi work