Loading movies taking long

On my media server I have 2 folders (Movies & Tv Shows).

Example: (Movies/movie title/movie file

When I click on the movie folder it takes very long to load (even longer while remotely connected) the metadata content. All I see is the loading icon.

What is weird is that the Tv Shows folder opens a lot quicker although the TV Shows folder has way more folders and content.

Can someone tell why my media takes long to load?

P.S. metadata cache is already at 600mb so all online metadata is pretty much downloaded.

It may help if you define what “very long” is in seconds, minutes, hours… Also how you’re connected to the server (SMB, FTP, etc) and how may movies you have in your movie folder? How may folders and files in the root level of your TV folder?

What version of Infuse and tvOS?

Thank you for the quick reply.

When on my home network it will take 30 seconds to load.
Remotely I don’t bother cause i feel like it it’s taking forever.

Connecting with SMB or WebDAV I have the same problem.

600 movies
2000 tv shows

What kind of media server are you running? Is it possible that the disk drive is spooling up causing the delay? Also, you have 2000 tv shows not in season folders or series folders all individual in your TV folder?

EDITED TO ADD: How are you connected throughout? Ethernet or wireless and which level of either? Cat 5E Wifi N or AC 2.4 band or 5Ghz band?

What kind of media server are you running? Is it possible that the disk drive is spooling up causing the delay? Also, you have 2000 tv shows not in season folders or series folders all individual in your TV folder?

EDITED TO ADD: How are you connected throughout? Ethernet or wireless and which level of either? Cat 5E Wifi N or AC 2.4 band or 5Ghz band?

I am running from a Synology DS418Play

All Movies and shows are organized and sorted into folders (TV Shows/ Show name/ Season/Files

Running through an ethernet line and I have a CAT 6 running directly to my modem.

I used to just dump the movie file into to the movie folder (ex: Movies/file). I organised it to make it look cleaner but then this loading problem started to occur.
Do you think its because I created a folder for the movie files that’s why its loading slower?

So you’re running Ethernet from the ATV to the router and from the router to the DS418Play? What kind of organizing are you talking about in the movie folder? Just like folders for A thru M and so on or something else?

Yes both ATV and Diskstation are connected to my modem by ethernet.

My movie file setup is simple - Movie Folder/Movie title/movie file

Before it was like - (Movie Folder/ Movie file) and it there was no wait when clicking on the movie folder.

Its just hard to believe or even think its loading slower now because I put the movie files in folders, right??

Well, just speculation on my part but I believe that Infuse scans each folder looking for changes before displaying so you may get better mileage (and speed) by leaving it as a folder full of movies or maybe just 3 or 4 folders separating your movies by a range of the alphabet like A thru M and N thru Z or something on those lines.

Thanks for your input. Ill continue to play around with it and see what works best.
How is your movie setup if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks again for the quick responses. really appreciate it

You may also try using the Library, as this will provide a cached file list which will often times load much quicker…especially if your folders contain large numbers of items.

Personally I have all my movies in one folder but am transitioning to separating them into smaller alphabetic groups in my favorites but as James said that won’t be an issue since I browse my movies 95% of the time through the Library and that is quicker. Same for TV shows.

Thanks for the tip. Library seems to be working like a charm! :slight_smile:

I decided to place all content in one flat folder. Now the movie folder opens up right away so the problem was the single folder set up.

Tv Shows open up a bit slower but that’s because of the folder issue. I can live with 5 seconds for now. If the media library grows it might take more time to load but no complaints for now.

:slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.