Library Scan for changes - issues and suggestions for future updates

First of all I’d like to thank the firecore for the awesome app you guys have created. It’s quite impressive how it can handle just about anything you throw at it. Having said that I do have one main issue with this App. Ive been using it for about 5 months or so. Had some minor issues here and there and they have been solved after a while. But the one thing that bothers and frustrates me the most about Infuse the most has to be the Library Scan for Changes function.

Its just way to slow to be effective at all. I press the button and it says fetching changes…and that goes on for so so so long that it makes it a bit pointless to add anything to Infuse. On my library it literally takes over 15 minutes for it to scan and find any changes to the library when it works as sometimes it doesnt find changes at all.

I understand that I have a large library of movies (759) and tv shows (9130 episodes) but come on…15 minutes to update a library is way way way too long to wait. I dont want to compare Infuse to Plex…but I just have to…Plex updates the library so fast. you just press the reload button and its done…just like that. (i have it set to scan my library for changes every 15 minutes).

Can Infuse please please please look at fixing this issue at some point. I suggest having a similar setting like plex that you can choose a time for it to automatically scan for changes like plex does (15, 30 minutes or 1, 2, 5 hours) something like that…and have the actual button for scan for changes to actually work.

And before I get told to delete the app and set it up again…I have it done that a few times already…but thats a problem that always happens.

I’m using the latest Apple TV 4: Model A1625 64GB - tvOS 10.2.1
All my media is stored on a Synology NAS - DS415play with the latest OS installed DSM 6.1.2-15132

Infuse Pro 5.4.4

cheers

1 Like

Hmm, that definitely doesn’t sound normal, and we definitely want to take a deeper look into this.

The next time you see this occur can you drop us a note right after Infuse finishes its update? A bit more info on sending in reports from your Apple TV can be found here. https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/215090927-Troubleshooting-and-Getting-Support

Is it normal for the Library to ALWAYS be fetching thumbnails?
An hour ago it was fetching 622 thumbnails. Now it is fetching another 435 thumbnails. I’ve had this app for 3 days now and everyday it is fetching hundreds of thumbnails and I have not added any new movies or TV shows to my Library.

Also, How often does it scan for changes?

I’m actually having the same issue. Approximately 900 HD video files stored on a QNAP 4 Disk NAS device. The library updates, but if I add something to the QNAP, even the next day I pull up Infuse Pro on my 4th Gen Apple TV, and the movies aren’t showing in the library. Just what was already detected. I have to wait until it’s done scanning for changes, and that can tend to be quite a while. Long enough where I either scrap the idea of watching the movie, or use an alternate App. What can I do to get this updated automatically?

I dont know. To be it seems to only fetch when you press the scan for changes button. Aside from that I don’t think that it scans for new stuff if you are not in the application at all. The reason I say that is that because I don’t really see it fetching anything while I’m watching a movie although I’ve put 2 or 3 new show episodes during that time.

I feel the same way about changing my mind about watching something cause it just takes so long for it to scan for new stuff. What I noticed is that if I TURN OFF my tv shows (9000+ episodes) off in the library and scan for changes for any new movies (700 movies in the library) it tends to find any new movie I put in there pretty fast. However if I turn my tv shows on again and scan for changes…it will take forever. So I’m pretty sure that it just cant find anything new quickly when it has too many files in there. Its kind of sad…cause Plex just finds things so fast regardless of how big your library is.

The upcoming 5.5 update has a handful of improvements that will help in some areas with regard to fetching.

5.5 will be out later this month, and if you’re still seeing trouble after that then please submit a report from your device and open a support ticket so we can look into this further.

That’s great news James! I look forward to it.

I have the same issue, however it takes about 2-4 minutes usuallay to scan the entire library. I have about 590 tv episodes. Isn’t it possible to arrange scanning beeing performed on the background? So when you open the app, all is already up to date? Or is this prohibited by Apple somehow? Would be very nice if this could be fixed in version 5.5, looking forward to it.

Currently Apple limits what apps can do and for how long in the background. It’s hopeful that they’ll allow some more latitude in the future.

Same problem here, library takes a lot of time to update, also, it can’t update while watching a movie so I have to launch the app and let it sit there waiting 15/20 minutes to update.
Apple Tv 32, NAS Buffalo

I have updated to version 5.5, however it still takes about the same time to scan my library when I open the app in Library mode. So, this update didn’t change anything for me on this area, any improvements with anyone else?

2 to 4 minutes isn’t that bad. I haven’t had the update long enough to make a statement on whether or not it’s improved. Considering that for now Infuse has a limited time to perform tasks it seems pretty snappy to me. Now if Apple frees up some background time then that should make some real differences in how long it takes. Considering that Infuse doesn’t control all of the variables such as net response, site speed, and ping times it could be tons worse.

It would be good to be able to just scan for changes in a specific show/folder as well. I only update a couple of shows at a time and I’d like to be able to go to that show in my library and just scan for changes for that show

1 Like