Lg oled55e7p & atv4k settings

Damned if I can find a search function on this forum, so apologies if this has been asked already.
I have an ATV4K to Marantz SR1508 to LG OLED55E7P. Everything working fine. The ATV4K is my only source for the moment. I am using Infuse for a mix of 1080p/4K (SDR/HDR) content stored on my Synology NAS and Netflix/Prime for streaming. Nothing is inherently wrong with my current settings, but I’m hoping for some setting “guidance” to optimize my SDR/HDR playback. I think I used RTINGS E7 settings as a starting point, but find everything a little “dark” specifically for SDR content. I was hoping there are some folks here that can share their “bright room” settings AND “dark room” settings for SDR (and to a lesser extent HDR) content. I am also curious, to those using the ATV4K with an LG OLED…is the consensus to enable Dolby Vision and match frame rate and dynamic range both ON?
I spent a little time looking through AVS Forum for the same kind of info, but I figured because I’m primarily using Infuse to watch SDR material on my OLED, this might be a good place to pose these questions.
PS. I am using Belkin Ultra High Speed 4K HDMI cables between the ATV4K, SR1508 and OLED55E7P. They were a little more expensive that AmazonBasics, Monoprice “equivalents”…but they are bloody brilliant. I love the flexibility, gauge of cable, size of connectors etc. Highly recommended!

You may want to hold off a bit since HDR SDR Infuse is going through a bit of a metamorphosis. If you read through a few of the threads here on HDR related titles you’ll get caught up. There are some changes that will affect HDR in the next few revs.

The search for the forum is on the home page here. https://firecore.com/search

Thanks for the search link :slight_smile:

I read through some of the issues with HDR. I hadn’t heard about any issues with SDR…though I must admit SDR through Infuse has looked “off” compared to the same content played through Plex. Either way, if there are folks here that have recommendation for optimal settings, I’m all ears…

I would not copy other peoples settings as that probably will make things worse. You can set brightness and contrast yourself using some patterns.

I have a LG OLED 65B7 connected to ATV4K (through a Sony AV DTN-1080) using the same Belkin cables. I also have a QNAP NAS where I store most of my movies backups for a faster reproduction (I have all my original Blurays).

I also have my TV calibrated for SDR content (BT.709). All is fine when I use my Bluray player and my other media player (Mede8er) to play 1080p SDR content (MKV) from NAS. All my 1080p content (SDR) plays fine.

However I noticed when I play the same movie through Infuse in ATV4K a slight Black crush, making the movie to appear too dark. Note: the same movie when played from the Med8er or from the Bluray (both connected to the same AV receiver and TV with the same cables) plays fine with no Black crush on it. It’s only when played from the ATV4K that the Black Crush is noticiable.

4K HDR content is fine. Also, this does not happen with ATV 1080p (4th generation).

So, currently I use my ATV4K to play 4K HDR content and my old Med8er to play 1080p SDR content. If I want to watch 1080p content in ATV4K I prefer to watch it in HDR converted mode (to avoid the black crush). This is the reason I disabled the auto-switch SDR/HDR and use the ATV4K in “4K HDR” mode (instead of Dolby Vision because most of my 4K titles are HDR not Dolby Vision encoded).

So, what you’re experiencing is in agreement with my findings too.

I hope Apple will be able to solve this as I think this is more a problem of Apple than Infuse. But I can’t confirm this as a fact as I haven’t tested with other Apps.

If you want to test the Black crush use the Brightness patterns from the free AVS HD 709 suit : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

1 Like

After I posted this last night, I hooked up my old Popcorn Hour A-400 media player. I tested the same 1080p SDR files through both Infuse and the A-400. Interestingly the A-400 looked better.

There are quite a few reports that Infuse is unlucky in comparison with other apps. Hope this will be addressed as Infuse is the only app I want to use.

Did some more tests last night and I think the problem is not with Infuse…

First I used another player app and I confirmed that the black crush was still there.

But all of my doubts went away when I used the calibration option on ATV settings. The 2 blacks squares where all too dark with the first square (which should be slightly visible) not appearing.

In HDR mode both are ok. It’s only in SDR that brightness is set too low.

It’s strange you have pretty much exact same setup to me, even down to the popcorn hour a400. I was wondering if you have experienced any lip sync issues when using the tv arc or optical out? Also if you have found some 4K movies look grainy/noisy on the tv?

Thanks.

I have an LG OLED55B6P and playing 4K HDR movies through Infuse using an ATV4K seems to have the “soap-opera” effect, where things look fake. Is anyone else having that issue? Tried different HDR settings (I only have Game, Standard, Bright and 1 other I believe) but they don’t help. I don’t know if it’s a frame rate issue or an HDR issue. Anyone else see something similar? Thanks.

I have an LG OLED55B6P and playing 4K HDR movies through Infuse using an ATV4K seems to have the “soap-opera” effect, where things look fake. Is anyone else having that issue? Tried different HDR settings (I only have Game, Standard, Bright and 1 other I believe) but they don’t help. I don’t know if it’s a frame rate issue or an HDR issue. Anyone else see something similar? Thanks.

On your OLED, did you go into Picture Mode settings, Picture Options, and turn off TruMotion?

Yes, TruMotion is off. That setting is also only available for non-HDR modes. This only seems to happen with HDR movies. I read somewhere that there’s a Cinema HDR mode. Is that only available on the 2017 models?

That setting is definitely there in the HDR modes (i go into the settings a lot…). As for the cinema HDR mode, use HDR standard as that would be equivalent to the same thing if there was a mode on the 2017s. The only real difference between the 2016 and 2017’s HDR mode is a little higher nits on the 2017 and the way Dynamic Constrast Low works.

Thank you! Found it! And found a lot of other settings that were bothering me in HDR mode. Thanks again.