Large Size Pictures - How to Compress

Hi all,

So I have various folders and subfolders with large quantities and large individual file sizes of photos, I take them at a high resolution for obvious reasons.

The limitation on this software is circa 600mb I beleive (is that right? - Can anyone verify that?) before they will show as a thumbnail in grid view.

Mine currently show as a movie ticket (??? - If anything should show as a file!) but I want to show them as individual thumbnails so a I can pick individual pictures that I want to view.

I have literally thousands of photos and whilst I can use Windows Photo Editor to compress individual photos, it takes a lot of time to do this and is very repetative,  does anyone know of a way that I can ‘mass compress’ all the photos in a folder?

Thanks.

I am assuming you want to resize photos to a separate copy. PHotoshop does this in batch mode, but you probably don’t have that as you quote Windows editor. Alternatively use Infranview on http://www.irfanview.com/ as it is a great Windows free program.

Make sure you just do a small test first to make sure it does what you want.

Many thanks thats great and I will take a look.

You are right, I keep the ‘original’ on my PC which is either in RAW or JPEG format and the file size is big. I store a mirror copy on my NAS that I want to view through the aTV but to view them, they must be small in file size. With any new pictures I have got in the habbit of converting them individually (pain in the back side!) everytime I mirror them accross to the NAS, however, I have 1000’s of historical pics which I would like to change as currently, I cant view them through the aTV.

Many thanks for the advice.

You probably have to resize each picture at the same scale so that they will keep the original ratio but at a lower resolution which translates to the reduction in file size as well.

If you have a lot of images to work with, I suggest that you write a script to implement so that resizing will have to be done automatically.  you should take note of the orientation though so that you could assign specific ones for landscape and portrait respectively.