Large 4k MKV Stutter but iPhone Plays Fine

I have a ATV4 that will not play 6GB< MKV files, over WiFi, however, my iPhone 6S will. The issue is it will play about 3secs and then freeze and the audio will continue. I have tried two different files with the below specs.

Currently have AT&T’s fiber internet and it is beastly. I have tried hooking my laptop up to a wired connection and that did not help. I cannot currently wire the ATV as the ethernet port in the apartment is not hot (for now).

Any suggestions? I have match content on, I’ve ran speed tests ect. I am thinking of just getting a stand alone player for these file types as OTA streaming seemingly eventually fails.

Specs:

Overall bit rate : 15.0 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2018-08-07 23:39:49
Writing application : mkvmerge v25.0.0 (‘Prog Noir’) 64-bit
Writing library : libebml v1.3.6 + libmatroska v1.4.9

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Commercial name : HDR10
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 2 h 21 min
Bit rate : 9 578 kb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 1 604 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.065
Stream size : 9.45 GiB (64%)

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately the ATV4 will not support 4K HEVC files. Apple added hardware decoding of HEVC video on A9 and later devices, so in order to play these you will need the newer ATV4K.

Well that explains it! Thank you! I guess I just have to be more selective of my file types or invest in a converter.

Swapping out the ATV4 for the ATV4K might not be a bad option either, even if you’re not using a 4K TV.

Not only would you be able to play files like these, you’d also be able to take advantage of the new advanced upscaling that was recently added in Infuse which allows lower resolution content to appear much better. Plus, it’s just much snappier to use. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.