Kernel panic - not syncing ... unable to mount root fs

I just got my appleTV today, upgraded to 3.0.1, then decided to buy aTV Flash.

I downloaded the Mac software and used it to make an aTV Flash patchstick using a 1GB SD card loaded in a USB card reader.

When I boot the appleTV with the patchstick, it shows the aTV Flash logo as expected, then shows the Linux boot log. Unfortunately, the scrolling text stops at an entry that says, among other things (the first few characters of each line are cut off, so I put my assumptions in square brackets):

[No] filesystem could mount root, tried: reiserfs ext3 ext2 cramfs msdos vfat iso9660 hfsplus hfs ntfs fuseblk jfs xfs [Ker]rnel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)

I’ve attached a photo I took of the log:

[attachment=0]IMG_0321.jpg[/attachment]

It doesn’t seem like this is a problem with the medium I’m using for the patchstick (an SD card with a reader instead of a USB stick), but that might be it. From what I gather, an unusable USB drive would end up not being detected at all by the appleTV, correct? Unfortunately I don’t have a real USB stick lying around to try out right now.

It looks like a flash drive compatibility issue. Do you have an alternate drive you can use?

Thanks, I ended up using a SanDisk Cruzer 16GB and it worked beautifully.