Just can't use Infuse for AppleTV yet

Hello.

I absolutely love Infuse. It is my favorite media player by far for IOS.
However, I’m not yet able to use Infuse effectively on AppleTV.
There are several reasons for this:

1. No preview thumbnails. I have seen that this is on the Infuse roadmap, but it’s not in the product right now. This is a navigation killer.
  2. Can do either chapter forward/reverse or timed forward/reverse, but not both at the same time.

The combination of #1 and #2 makes timeshifting a lot harder than it needs to be.

The killer is, NONE Of this stuff is present in iPhone/iPad. I can easily move forward/behind and do chapter jumping. There is even a cool graphic that tells me how far forward or behind I am going when I’m using my thumb and not using the buttons.

None of this is available on Apple TV. So, even though I ABSOLUTELY HATE the MrMC interface, I’m forced to keep using it while praying that Infuse will get these features soon.

And no…I do not want to CAST from my iPhone to my Apple TV. That’s extremely inconvenient as a primary means to watch TV.

I’m really hoping for some new releases for Infuse in 2018. There’s really no comparison to anything out there…

BrianGGG

1 Like

Scrubbing previews is something we have on our radar, and hope to tackle soon - most likely sometime after the Plex integration rolls out as part of 5.7.

With regard to nav controls, our goal is to mirror the native controls as much as possible to avoid confusion. One thing you can do is have chapter controls disabled (which allows 10s forward/back to be enabled) and then jump between specific chapters via the Video section of the Playback Menu (swipe down while a video is playing). Overall, this is an area we’d like to improve in the future as well.

Thanks very much for this reply.
I have the following thoughts:

1. It’s great that scrubbing previews are on the radar. I didn’t realize how important they were until I realized I didn’t have them in Infuse.

2. The workaround with Chapters that you described above won’t work for me. I Chapter my commercial breaks, and sometimes COMSKIP is not perfect. So, most of the time I want to move ahead by chapter, but sometimes I’ll need to move slightly forward or backward. It’s not an option to have a complicated menu item to skip chapters as this is the primary thing that I will do. It’s pretty impossible to use the trackpad without preview so I am stuck.

3. I have seen several times that there is some aversion to doing something different than the native controls. I certainly understand not wanting to remap keys to different behaviors as that definitely would cause confusion. However, there should be no reason NOT to strive to be better than the (crappy) native interface where possible. As an example: MrMC maps click left and click right to fast forward and rewind. However, they use the uncharted click up and click down for chapters. This would enhance the Infuse experience without causing confusion with something that does not exist natively (my opinion).

4. It’s a shame because I don’t have any of these problems with iPhone/iPad because of an innovative interface. I can move forward/backward by chapter, I can ff/rewind, etc. I wish there was an Apple TV equivalent, not necessarily with the same interface but with the same innovation.

BrianGGG