Hi. I can access and play items that are in my Infuse Library, but can’t access favorites on my Jellyfin server. I get this error message: Unexpected server response. Please try again. Was previously working fine, and nothing has changed in my setup.
Steps I’ve tried so far:
restarted my Jellyfin docker container
disabled and reactivated Infuse Sync
deleted the Jellyfin share on Infuse and reconnected
Diagnostics code: TRF65
(Created a new thread because where I originally posted was about an older version of Infuse so might not have got spotted. Deleted my previous post)
Sadly, no. I emailed support earlier this week so I’m hoping to hear back soon. I’ll let you know if I hear anything. My Pro subscription just renewed for another year, so I’m really hoping there is a solution!
We can hope! The update in Infuse 7.4 is compatibility with the new (beta) version of Jellyfin (10.8.0). I’m still on Jellyfin 10.7.7, which Infuse already supports. But maybe there’ll be a bug fix that solves my problem too.
Just a bit nervous because of the radio silence from Infuse support so far
Trouble is I can’t play half of my content at the moment, and I’m not planning to update to Jellyfin 10.8 while it’s in Beta. If, as you’ve suggested, they’re not planning to troubleshoot the problem I wish they’d replied and told me so a week ago, so I could have cancelled the renewal.
It is not answered above. Update for Jellyfin 10.8.0 isn’t relevant to the “unexpected server response” error because the error happens with the previous version of Jellyfin too. Seriously, we really need a reply from the devs instead of speculation.
Unless I’m mistaken and I just can’t see it for some reason, there’s nothing in that post mentioning that this is a known issue that’s being worked on. It’s just a reference about some upcoming features in 7.4 that apply to Jellyfin 10.8 as well.
It seems that the new Infuse version has fixed the integration problem with Jellyfin.
After firing up the new version, it still seemed that it wasn’t syncing properly but after removing the Jellyfin server from Infuse and re-adding it, everything seems to be working perfectly again. I’m still testing, but I think we’ve put this behind us!