Jailbreak any Apple TV 2 units without your own jail breakable SHSH blobs to 4.4.2 (tethered)!

You will not lose the jailbreak, you would just have to run seas0nPass and select Boot Tethered.    As well you will be able to install XBMC.

This works great; I was able to downgrade 5.0 to 4.4.2. Thank you for the post.

However when I tried to boot-tether it using another computer, the Boot Tethered option in Seas0nPass is greyed out. I’m stuck; I can’t boot it up without using the laptop that built the signed firmware. Is this expected or is there something wrong with my computer? Any help is appreciated.

fantastic.  thanks!  hopefully i can get it jailbroken on my work computer.  fingers crossed

Are you sure you have this version of seas0nPass on your other computer?

Seas0nPass 4.4.4 0.3.52.4905 ?  If not download it from the first post on your other computer.

There is nothing wrong with your computer.  Have Seas0nPass on your new computer build the custom 4.4.2 firmware (but don’t install it) and the “booth Tethered” should become available. 

Good luck.  From my own experience, I was not able to tether boot my 4.4.2 using the mac version of Seas0nPass.  It found my device in DFU mode, but failed to inject the files.

Hey!

Long time lurker… first time poster.

Wonder if anyone can shed any light as to why this works on 4.4.2, but not 4.4.4… What is it about THESE 4.4.2 shsh blobs that allows us to use them on any device? What would be necessary to use a similar method on a 4.4.4 build. How can we get 4.4.4 shsh blobs with the same errr type O blood type? :slight_smile:

Thanks - prolly a dumb question. Just curious.

You’re exactly right. This solves the problem. Thanks a bunch!:slight_smile:

FOR THOSE WITH THE STEADY BLINKING LIGHT*** (I thought I’d sign up finally and contribute at least this much since I ended up figuring out the issue)

At the seasonpass step to boot tethered, DO NOT BOTHER LISTENING TO THE PROGRAM TELLING YOU TO PUSH THE PLAY AND MENU BUTTON! ATV DEVICE IS ALREADY IN DFU MODE! JUST BE VERY PATIENT AND LET THE PROCESS RUN! ALSO, AFTER IT SAYS IT’S OKAY TO UNPLUG, DO NOT DO THAT UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY SEE THE LIGHT STAY A SOLID COLOR! ABSOLUTELY NO BLINKING!!!

The result? A successful jailbreak!

Thanks in advance to the users that contributed as I have been following these posts for awhile before finally deciding to make an account! I believe certain credit should be given to those who were responsible though…

wow, it’s hard to please this crowd.  Please feel free to point out who I’ve failed to give credit to on the first post.  I’ll gladly add them.  No worries and cheers!  

Hello Just wanted to thank everyone who has worked on this, good job.

Next, I did this jailbreak on my Desktop with windows but my tv is in another room and my laptop is a mac. Is there a version of Seas0nPass for mac that will let me do a tethered boot on 4.4.2, I tried the latest Seas0nPass and it did not work.

Thanks,it works great.my understanding,I can just send firmware file to my friend and he just follow part4 & 5 to jailbreak his atv2.no need to repeat part1 to 3,should be the same file.correct me if I’m wrong,thx.

That’s correct.

alright, good to know.  perhaps once the atv2 is jailbroken i’ll be able to tethered-boot it from a virtual machine.  i hope so anyway.  we’ll find out.  if not then i’ll just have to wait patiently for a mac version of the 5.1 jb

sweet, i was able to restore 4.4.2 firmware on the first try on my work computer, so i think it definitely had to do with running it in a virtual machine on my mac.  hopefully the seas0npass part of the tethered-boot WILL work on the VM otherwise i’ll have to find a laptop to borrow every time i need to boot

You cannot use a VM to do this as it doesn’t have direct access to USB as required.

Works like a charm! Thanks everyone.

Just a small remark after going through the procedure. Is there any particular reason for 4.4.2? From a non-jailbreaker point of view it looks like it should have the potential to work on any firmware as long as we have someone donate their SHSH blobs. Has anyone tested it yet with 4.3? I could though I admit to being lazy :wink: plus it’s scanning my media files for the comming hours and someone will have replied before he’s done :wink:

I prefer 4.3 because that’s the recommended version for XBMC to run on.

Double post

People have tried other versions and found 4.4.2 was the best/easiest/most efficient. They have tried 4.4.4 without luck and the 4.3 blobs I gave to someone I never heard back.

If you have a 4.4.3 shsh file that you would like to share, we can certainly give it a try.  In my hands, flashing to 4.4.4 using the same method does occasionally work, but it is very unstable and you have to tether boot it.  I think another forum member also reported this to work with 4.4.4 tethered.

Original post updated to include the fully compiled, ready-to-flash firmware uploaded by Sako.  Thank you.  Again, my spirit is to try to aggregate all the information into one easy to read post.  Hope it helps so people.