Issue with using Infuse on tvOS

Hello,

I recently, as in earlier today, set up a media server using Jellyfin and installed Infuse 7 on my Apple TV 4. I was able to play one video and since then, when selecting another video to play, I am instead greeted with a screen prompting me to select a subscription. Is this intended?

Yes, the free version of infuse is limited in the types of videos it can play. If you wish to use it for videos that have other codecs that the developer has to pay for the use of you will need to start a subscription.

A rundown of what you can do with the free version and what the benefits of a subscription are listed here.

Thank you for your response. I am aware of the free version’s limitations and have ensured that I am using a container and codec that should be fine. As I could not find a specific document listing the supported containers and codecs in the free version versus with a subscription, I decided to post here. Since you arrogantly assumed I’m using a container and/or codec that’s only supported in the subscription version, I will try to be more specific:

I use the Matroska multimedia container. The video codec is AVC/H.264 and audio codec is AAC-LC. I also embed SubRip format subtitles. If it matters, I use the MKVToolNix software to encode everything. I assume these are formats that are supported by Infuse 7 free edition as one video played fine and the second, and any other, does not. Even trying to replay the initial video that worked results in the prompt for a subscription appearing.

So, again, I ask: is this the intended behavior? I was initially suspicious that I had misconfigured something in Jellyfin or some other minor issue. However, since you marked your answer as the solution, I’m going to assume that the prompt for money is intended to display after a user plays something and that Firecore is just another company that misrepresents their product by advertising a free version and implying functionality that is actually hidden behind a paywall.

If that’s the case, I’ll stick with FOSS and spend my money supporting developers who aren’t scammers.

No that is not normal. Not sure why the hostilities but if you’d like to run one of the videos you feel should play though mediainfo and post the results here I’m sure we can figure out why it may be causing issues.

There are many users that find the free version adequate for their specific needs and don’t require the subscription.

I don’t run jellyfin so I can’t really speak to that but running strictly using Infuse has been stellar for me.

Firecore is in no way a “scammer” and have always worked hard at providing a great user experience.

1 Like

Also, do you have the infusesync plugin for Jellyfin installed? What version number of Jellyfin are you using?

Thank you for your reply. My apologies for the implication of any hostile feelings in my response. I am HFA and was just trying to speak plainly. I used this app called Mediainfo to profile two of the video files and have uploaded the .txt file.

Yes, I noticed that and also couldn’t find any confirmation that there was any limit on the amount of plays a video could have any any restrictions like that. That frustration in not finding something concrete is what led to me making a post.

Yes, and it is active. I am using version 10.8.10 of Jellyfin.

I wasn’t aware that Infuse could work on its own without a server like Plex/Emby/Jellyfin/etc. I learned of Infuse via perusing the client page on the Jellyfin website and saw that it was an app that supported Apple TV.

General
Unique ID                                : 195231563624770291055950218685720854527 (0x92E03B4023D6E2AA192F23F5BDB07FFF)
Complete name                            : /Volumes/My Passport/01_Media/03_Video/02_Movies/The Fountain (2006) [imdbid-tt0414993]/The Fountain (2006).mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4
File size                                : 1.57 GiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 36 min
Overall bit rate                         : 2 332 kb/s
Frame rate                               : 23.976 FPS
Encoded date                             : 2023-05-29 05:31:21 UTC
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v76.0 ('Celebration') 64-bit
Writing library                          : libebml v1.4.4 + libmatroska v1.7.1

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4
Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 1 826 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.037
Stream size                              : 1.23 GiB (78%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 130 r2273 b3065e6
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=4 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1826 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                                 : English (US)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Audio #1
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC LC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : A_AAC-2
Bit rate                                 : 384 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel layout                           : C L R Ls Rs LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 262 MiB (16%)
Language                                 : English

Audio #2
ID                                       : 3
Bit rate                                 : 124 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Stream size                              : 85.9 MiB (5%)

Text #1
ID                                       : 4
Format                                   : UTF-8
Codec ID                                 : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info                            : UTF-8 Plain Text
Duration                                 : 1 h 28 min
Bit rate                                 : 28 b/s
Frame rate                               : 0.126 FPS
Count of elements                        : 669
Stream size                              : 18.7 KiB (0%)
Language                                 : English (US)

Text #2
ID                                       : 5
Duration                                 : 1 h 30 min
Bit rate                                 : 27 b/s
Frame rate                               : 0.088 FPS
Count of elements                        : 475
Stream size                              : 18.0 KiB (0%)
Language                                 : Swedish (SE)
Default                                  : No

General
Unique ID                                : 207151316022826859611957195733802059907 (0x9BD7E46ACECFBD048A0B041FBE568883)
Complete name                            : /Volumes/My Passport/01_Media/03_Video/02_Movies/Dune (2021) [imdbid-tt1160419]/Dune (2021).mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4
File size                                : 2.74 GiB
Duration                                 : 2 h 28 min
Overall bit rate                         : 2 635 kb/s
Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Movie name                               : Dune (2021)
Encoded date                             : 2023-05-29 07:05:48 UTC
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v76.0 ('Celebration') 64-bit
Writing library                          : libebml v1.4.4 + libmatroska v1.7.1 / Lavf58.67.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 2 250 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 768 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 2.500
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.061
Stream size                              : 2.34 GiB (85%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 161
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=24 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=2250 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=31250 / vbv_bufsize=31250 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Bit rate                                 : 384 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel layout                           : C L R Ls Rs LFE
Delay relative to video                  : -43 ms
Stream size                              : 409 MiB (15%)

Text
ID                                       : 3
Duration                                 : 2 h 11 min
Bit rate                                 : 1 b/s
Frame rate                               : 0.006 FPS
Count of elements                        : 45
Stream size                              : 1.13 KiB (0%)

Not really helpful. Guy is attempting to assist you. Take it easy.

Have you since been able to play any content?

Assuming your videos do not include Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS-HD, or True-HD audio (which Infuse must pay royalties for and are therefore limited to Pro-subscribers), I’m not aware of any other codec-related restrictions — though iirc, I originally trialed the Pro Version of Infuse and happily bought it at the end of my trial — so there might be some I’m not aware of.

That said, I’ve yet to read any support requests in this forum from a free user who couldn’t get media to playback (because they were a free user) that wasn’t related to one of the above listed Pro-only audio codecs.

If you are still unable to play any content, and still receiving prompts to subscribe, I’d suggest deleting the app and any data it might have saved in your iCloud account, if enabled) and reinstalling it.

If you trial the Pro-Version, you will be prompted to activate the premium audio codecs (there will be two separate prompts) only when you first attempt to play content that relies on those codecs.

If you are a subscribed Pro user, there will be no additional fees incurred (despite the prompt saying something like “free purchase, you won’t be charged” but still using the purchase interface) — this is newly required because Infuse now pays individually for each user who activates the premium codecs.

If you are on a trial subscription and encounter one of those prompts, I don’t believe you’ll need to actually purchase anything either — but I’m not certain so read the prompts carefully.

Infuse is an honest broker; they don’t play bait and switch games or hit you up for in-app purchases to keep doing whatever you were already doing. You pay a small subscription fee to access Pro (I pay annually) and that is all. As long as I have an active subscription, I’ll always receive every minor and major update going forward.

Sometimes popular, oft-requested new features or feature upgrades Infuse reports they are working on take a bit longer to arrive than originally anticipated, but that’s about the worst of it.

This does make Infuse very unique in this space. The only competition I’m aware of is the formerly Kodi-based Mr.MC but unless that app has improved dramatically over the past couple of years, to me, there’s not contest.

So, one more suggestion you might try:

From the Infuse settings, remove the share your created to connect to your new Jellyfin server, and create a new share connecting directly to your media server (NAS box or computer).

Just Infuse and your content. See if that works for you. It works for me. :man_shrugging:t2:

If you later find that Plex or Emby or Jellyfin offer you features you desire that Infuse is lacking, you can always add those on and just use Infuse as the front end (that many people do because of Infuse’s leadership in playback support and quality on Apple devices).

If you still get unwanted prompts to purchase Pro, at least you’ll know it isn’t because of any glitch with Jellyfin.

If you tell us what NAS you have, we can help you with the details if you are having additional trouble getting setup.

But do check out the instructions along the way.

No.

I understand and appreciate licensing fees. That’s not the issue. Nor am I aware of any codec-related restrictions. Firecore’s documentation leaves a lot to be desired.

Right, I get that and understand my issue is unique. …

Tried that and still had the same issue. Thank you for the suggestion, however.

Not familiar with Mr.MC, but I’ll take your word for it, that there’s no contest between it and Infuse.

Thank you. I’m running Debian on the box I’m using as a media server, so enabled Samba and Bonjour, since the docs only provide instruction on Ubuntu and since Ubuntu is based on Debian. It worked about as well as Jellyfin, meaning I ran in to the same issue. So, I figure something is borked on my media server and I’ll need to figure out what’s going on on it. Until then, VLC seems to be working fine, so who knows. :man_shrugging:

But yeah, thank you @NC_Bullseye and @FLskydiver. I appreciate y’all taking the time to try and help me. I apologize for any hostilities imparted.

1 Like

You say your media imports, metadata gets downloaded, but nothing at all plays (except it does on VLC)?

Yeah; wish I had more ideas, but I’m dry.

Sorry for the delay. I figured that since the VideoLAN project makes a media player that strives to play every format and every codec, it would be able to handle something another software couldn’t.

But yeah, I think I figured out what was going on: when using ffmpeg to pull from the Blu-ray and encode from M2TS to AVC, something about the way it writes the format profile or color profile (or something related), then using mkvmerge to assemble all the different streams, resulted in a file that was being read by Jellyfin as a Dolby Vision file, so when that stream was being sent to Infuse, that’s what was triggering the prompt to upgrade to Infuse Pro. Well, as near as I can figure. I did some more messing around and reading ffmpeg’s documentation and have found a process that results in playing media reliably. It’s been fun re-encoding 3TB of data just to make sure I had all the streams in a consistent format.

Thank you both for your help! It is appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.