Is it ok to set all metadata manually or could Infuse loose the metadata?

Hey all,

I have a somewhat special file naming for my movie files, which I rather not want to change at the moment, if possible. Therefore, I’m planning to set the metadata for every movie manually. I have ca. 300 files on my list.

(Using Apple TV 4k and Infuse Pro 6.5.)

Now my concern is: I’ve read at theses forums, that there were some occasions of loosing the metadata of movies, all of a sudden and Inufse had to fetch all the metadata from TheMovieDB and TheTVDB again. If this would happen in my case, Infuse can’t fetch the metadata (due to my filenames) so I would have to set the metadata manually for all movies all over again.

I’m seeking for some advice here - is it ok to do it manually (I have no problem with the work one time, but I don’t want to do it two or three times)?

What is your experience, did you ever encountered the problem of Infuse loosing the metadata and have to fetch it again?

Or is it considered stable and persistent, once the metadata has been set manually?

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

What do you mean by

Do you mean using the edit metadata function and searching TMDB and selecting the correct movie or are you talking about setting up nfo/xml files for each movie?

Either way should be fairly safe since Infuse should remember corrections you made via the edit metadata and it would also use the nfo/xml files and artwork you have locally.

Just remember, Apple can clear out space on the iOS and tvOS devices as needed so it may happen but Infuse should be able to rebuild things.

I’m more curious as to what you’re using as a naming conviction that would require you to manually fix every movie.

Why not change to a standard and get things working right from the start? There are many batch renaming methods that would simplify the task in most cases and then you’d not have to worry about it in the future. 300 files isn’t much for renaming.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, @NC_Bullseye!

BDo you mean using the edit metadata function and searching TMDB and selecting the correct movie or are you talking about setting up nfo/xml files for each movie?

Sorry, I was not clear enough. Yes you are right, by “manually” I mean editing the metadata and selecting a corresponding entry from TheMovieDB.

Either way should be fairly safe […]

Ok. I was not sure about that, there could have been a case were Infuse forgets about the metadata but it is not Infuses fault, but a limitation of tvOS or the like. But it seems this is not the case.

Just remember, Apple can clear out space on the iOS and tvOS devices as needed so it may happen but Infuse should be able to rebuild things

Ah okay, thanks for the hint!

I’m more curious as to what you’re using as a naming conviction that would require you to manually fix every movie.

I’m the guy from another post, asking if Infuse can ignore the movie release year in front of the filename :smiley: Yes I know, not the usual way to name the files :wink:

Why not change to a standard and get things working right from the start? There are many batch renaming methods that would simplify the task in most cases and then you’d not have to worry about it in the future. 300 files isn’t much for renaming.

You are right of course, batch renaming would be an easy task for this. It may be stupid by me, but currently I don’t want to give up my file naming pattern with the release year in front of it :smile:

But eventually, I might very well change that and rename my files for a better compatibility with Infuse (I really love Infuse, the best movie library app I ever used and I’m really happy to pay for such a well made piece of software).