Is infuse able to play Dolbyvision in MKV container?

Hello,

Is Infuse capable to play DolbyVision MKV now ?

Thank you

1 Like

Yes, Dolby Vision (Profile 5) is supported.

1 Like

Hello @file300,
Thank you for your answer.
When you say Profile5, is it something the mkv release has to be set with ?
More important, do the DoVi movies releases we can find on the internet are all with this Profile 5 ? (Or I have to check the nfo when available ? )

Dolby vision 5 is a single layer Dolby vision video file with no HDR10 fallback. Use media info on your file. If it has two video tracks it won’t work (and never will on the AppleTV as Dolby doesn’t support dual layer on streaming boxes… only bluray players).

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.
I will check with media info. But when you say “and never will on the AppleTV as Dolby doesn’t support dual layer on streaming boxes” thus it is not specific to the AppleTV, right ?

1. Every bluray with DoVi have HDR10 fallback, am I right ? So if I download a full or a remixed bluray, sure I will get the DoVi (and hdr10 ) .
  2. if I download a mkv file, it will depend what the encoder have chosen. It will be DoVi or HDR, but never both. To have a chance to have both, it has to be a MP4

Did I understand well ?

It’s not exclusive to the AppleTV. So far I don’t know of any streaming player or media box that can play back Dolby vision remux or iso.

Run the file through media info. If you see two video tracks (one DV and one HDR10) then it’s dual layer and you’ll only get HDR10. If you see one track and it’s encoded as Dolby vision and its profile 5 then you’ll get Dolby vision .

No blurays are authored as Dolby vision profile 5. You’ll only find proper DV profile 5 in web rips (AppleTV+, Disney+).

1 Like

UHD Blu-ray MKV remux Dolby Vision playback is currently only possible on NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro 2019 using Plex or using Kodi with PotPlayer.

But then, why would the encoder put the 2 layers, especially the DoVi one, if it is useless ? A bad encoder ? :sweat_smile:

Interesting ! And disappointing :frowning:

Please support dolby vision in mkv, plex already does it on apple tv

I’m waiting for it to infuse too

Any full bd 4K with dolby vision converted to remux with makemkv already supports dolby vision in mkv

I’ll leave you a video of demonstration with the film the hobbit

apple tv, dolby vision in plex, no dolby vision in infuse

I put a spoiler with the mediainfo:

Complete name : D:\El Hobbit - La desolación de Smaug (2013) [V. Extendida] [Audio Editado] [UHDRemux 2160p HEVC DoVi Dual DTS-HD MA 7.1 - TrueHD(Atmos) 7.1 Subs].mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 84.8 GiB
Duration : 3 h 6 min
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 65.0 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2020-12-03 23:50:43
Writing application : mkvmerge v50.0.0 (‘Awakenings’) 64-bit
Writing library : libebml v1.4.0 + libmatroska v1.6.2

Video
ID : 1
ID in the original source medium : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 3 h 6 min
Bit rate : 55.8 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.281
Stream size : 72.7 GiB (86%)
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 1122 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 216 cd/m2
Original source medium : Blu-ray

please, I’d like you to update infuse as soon as possible

Plex isn’t really supporting it on ATV.

Read this this post ( and the whole thread has good info) for an explanation.

You don’t know how the specs work. ALL DV blurays come with two video tracks. An HDR10 track for non DV TVs and a second DV track which adds the necessary DV metadata to the HDR10 track. In order to decode this the player (in this case a bluray player) is require to support that profile. The Apple TV does not include that profile because Apple delivers their content via single stream profile 5. The AppleTV is only able to support profile 5 and 8. Any other profile is unsupported. If a player says they offer support then they are faking it. What they are doing is delivering HDR10 and then telling the AppleTV to switch to Dolby vision mode. Essentially all it’s doing is up scaling content. You can do the same things by setting the AppleTV to DV and turning off “match content”.

thanks for answering, i didn’t know plex was cheating on me :frowning:

Thank you for your explanations.
There is a detail I still don’t understand though:
It’s ok for a bluray.
It’s also ok for a web rip of disney+ or appletv+ for example, as you explained.

But about a rip/encode of a bluray (not a complete or remixed bluray): Since no player would be able to play the DoVi stream IF there are the 2 streams, why the encoder put both streams in his mkv container ? he technically cannot remove one of them ? I would expect he remove the useless unplayable DoVi stream. OR he would remove the HDR10 and let only the DoVi stream only, Profile 5 and tag his release “DoVi”. No ? In both case, it would result in a smaller file to download too.

And what about mp4 ? it works with this container or it changes nothing to the problem ?

I think maybe the oppo can play them, although I’m not completely sure. Also, with mo4 you lose lossless audio so that’s another concern.

The oppo bluray player can play these files as the device is authorized for bluray playback. Some people have also reported success putting them on thumb drives and playing back on LG OLED TVs. They must have the hardware chip to decode Dolby vision.

As far as I know there isn’t a way to properly convert a dual layer into a single layer profile 5 specific file. I’ve seen software but other users that know more than me have said it isn’t a one to one exact copy. It’s better than HDR10 but not as good as a full proper dolbyvision bluray release.

Are you sure about that? Current tvOS beta (maybe prod too) says “Add support for Dolby Vision video playback” which is the same as the Plex app on my Shield.

From my reading on plex it’s single layer Dolby vision in an mkv container. Dual layer is not supported.

From more reading on other forums Dolby does not offer licensed dual layer support in software decoders but is instead licensed to the separate Dolby vision decoding chip. This is the same chip found in many TVs and bluray players. Again this is all through user forums so if someone can find some hard documentation to either back this up or refute it that would be good.

1 Like

That would explain why some people say their LG OLED tv can play the DoVi from the WebOS Plex app. Maybe the chip on the tv is licensed for. I’ll get mine tomorrow, I will perform tests.

This is also why the Xbox series X can play DV Netflix but not bluray. It uses software DV.