Installing XBMC/Boxee on your aTVFlash patched AppleTV

Installing XBMC/Boxee on your aTVFlash AppleTV

To install these manually you have to extract the XBMC Launcher and Boxee Launcher from Scott Davilla’s (http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/) homemade patchstick creator. I’m not sure if it’s legal or not, but until someone tells me, I’ve attached a zip of both launchers here: http://www.box.net/shared/ne8dod987k

Now we need to add them to our already aTVFlash-hacked AppleTV.

1. Using Cyberduck or WinSCP, copy both “XBMCLauncher.frappliance” and “BoxeeLauncher.frappliance” to your default frontrow location.

2. Open Terminal and enter

ssh -1 frontrow@appletv.local
  1. When prompted enter password “frontrow”

2. First, we need to make sure we can write to the OSBoot volume. Type sudo mount -uw /. It should ask for a password again. Enter “frontrow”

3. Now we simply need to move both applications over to our main menu folder.
    Type: sudo mv ~/XBMCLauncher.frappliance /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns/ and press enter

Then Type: sudo mv ~/BoxeeLauncher.frappliance /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/PlugIns/ and press enter. That should get them moved.

1. Now we just need to reboot the aTV. Type: sudo reboot and the appleTV should reboot. When it comes back up you should see both Boxee and XBMC in your main menu. However, they are not yet installed.

2. Both are simply install launchers. For each one you have to first go in and press “Update” and tell AppleTV to install them. Once installed they should work as an application. For XBMC you may need to set the resolution to Full Screen.

I went in and added some skins to my XBMC also, like Aeon (which in my opinion, is the sexiest Media UI ever created). To do that you first have to open XBMC so that it creates a director in your Application Support. Then simply FTP into your AppleTV, go to Library → Application Support → XBMC and load any skins you’ve downloaded to the “skins” folder. Once in XBMC you can change the skins in the “Appearance” settings section.

Here is a video I made of it working on my AppleTV:

any updates for atv2?

still have those invites available?

Just bumping this discussion so that people can get Boxee and XBMC running on their older AppleTV version 1 devices.

Also adding this reference about getting HULU running on XBMC.  You need to install the BLUECOP zip file into XBMC,  to get the HULU plugin.

http://forum.firecore.com/topic/4109

Had the same issue and for me it was a permission issue on the frontrow Applications folder. I could fix it by using sudo chown frontrow /Users/frontrow/Applications then I re-downloaded XBMC and it installed just fine.

hi 

need help to install boxee on 1st gen appletv. I have install launcher but could no find “BoxeeLauncher.frappliance”. the link point to this is broker. Can you please help me out 

thanks

Rakesh

Much appreciated…

Worked like a charm! thanks. and just in time for my boxee test account to be approved

Hey guys, I have boxee invites if anyone needs them. Just PM me your E-mail address and I can send them out. :smiley:

Hello
I can “copy” the files without any problems - I can update/install the applications without any problems - however I get a"Cannot start the application" error message everytime I try to start the application.
Has anyone got any ideas?
Thanks

After doing an update, I get the following error:
Cannot launch Boxee from path : /Applications/Boxee.app/Contents/MacOS/Boxee

I checked /Applications and there doesn’t seem to be anything in there.

What might be my problem?

zzztimbo and Slanth,
Did you guys go to Update first and download the apps? The applications that you installed are only launchers. Once they’re installed on your AppleTV, you still have to go to “Update” first and actually download the applications from the internet, the same way you have to download the mplayer codecs, etc.

Yes. I checked the console logs and found out that the installer failed.
Why would the installer fail? This is why the app never makes it to /Applications.

Hello,

I really appreciate your help.

I followed the instructions and I now have Boxee installed and running. However, every time I launch XBMC I have the following error “Error: XBMC exited With Status:6” I searched with Google this error and found nothing.

I have the AppleTV 2.1 firmware and I updated XBMC to install it. I did the same for Boxee and it is running fine.

Thank you for your help.

GB

I have the same issue as GB :frowning:

Yeah I did exactly that - I have the same problem as zzztimbo, the application won’t launch

Since I’m not really a developer and kind of stumbled into this installation, I’m going to direct everybody to this forum for any questions. Scott Davilla, the developer of the launcher app, posts regularly. You would have to ask him these questions. Sorry, wish I could be of more assistance.

http://xbmc.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Thanks - see this:
http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38297

For anyone having the “Exited with Status 6”

ssh into your AppleTV and run sudo chown -R frontrow /Users/frontrow/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/

Scrap, thank you! That did it! A Brave New World, this XBMC!

Thanks again!