Installing CompositeTV in nitoTV installation help

Good news…!
I just reinstalled the TVComposite PAL version and again added it to the rc.local and it worked!!!
I’ve done this a number of times before but now it suddently worked… I didnt even have to reboot the Apple TV!

I guess I must have been doing something wrong… but now it IS working…

Thanks! Keep up the GREAT work!!! (and apologies if my problems confised anyone)

EDIT (after a reboot):
I rebooted the AppleTv and it went B&W again… I waited and waited (about 5 mins) and nothing.
After installing the CompositeTV a few more times (about 3) in suddenly went Colour… A bit odd and not very stable… but it works.
It is possible that it has something to do with my TV.

EDIT2:
I’ve realised that I dont need to reinstall after rebooting.
I just navigate into the NITO_TV → Settings menu and move around until the cursor goes blue.
Note: the background will not show colour only the cursor but when you navigate back to the Movies main menu item, then background gains colour again.

EDIT 3:
After a reboot it went and stayed B&W… Cant get colour anymore…

Hi Guys,

I have been fiddling quit a bit lately, and was hoping the previous issues had been fixed in 3.6.2, but guess not. I been trough the same troubleshooting pattern as jaysee, and my conclusion is somewhat alike.

1. I tested with 480i - works like a charm as far as I can tell.
  2. With 576i I completer the Smart Installer (obviously), installed the PAL version of TVComposite and after a Finder reboot go to Settings->Utilities->KernelExtensionManager menu and pres the play/pause button on TVComposite.kext, and the selector turns blue - and viola, you 576i TV is in color.
    This does NOT work after a reboot so you need to redo the process, and it does not help to click the ”Add to rc.local”, actually I have tried and ended up in the same situation a as jaysee, and had to do an ”Remove from rc.local” and reinstall, though this last step I’m not sure will work, as I did A LOT of test (and shouting) 
    So, dear dev-guys at atvFlash - God bless your soles - please help us pour guys who’s stuck with a good fashion CRT TV in PAL format… :wink:

Cheers
/B

Hi Guys,

A lot of ATVFlash customers seem to be having a Major problem with this. I’ve been following the thread and trying to get Composite out of my Green Component socket onto my PAL TV for a while now. It seemed to work the first time I did it (for about 10 seconds until I rebooted the box, as advised in the step by step guide). Now each time I try to do it, it doesn’t work.

I’m a bit disappointed as this is one of the main reasons I paid for ATVFlash.

Is there any chance of an ATVflash update that can fix this? The Apple TV is’t much use when it’s only in B&W…

Fiddling with this over the past few weeks, I can now get PAL colour after EVERY reboot (so far, this has worked 100% of the time).

After each reboot (assuming the TV Composite has been installed following the normal process - see previous posts):
1- Go to nitoTV->Settings->Utilities->KernelExtensionManager menu and press the left button on TVComposite.kext, select “Remove and Delete”
2- Go to nitoTV->Settings->Install Software and select the ‘Install TVComposite’ option, followed by PAL
(After installing it should restart Finder. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt)
3- Go to nitoTV->Settings->Utilities->KernelExtensionManager menu then move to the TVComposite.kext row. next, press the right button and select ‘Add to rc.local’.

After a couple of seconds, the cursor should turn blue. Note: Just look for the cursor to turn blue, dont expect the background to turn blue. Sometimes it turns blue even before you perform step 3 above.

If the cursor does not turn blue, repeat steps 1-3 above.
Sometimes I need to repreat the steps a few times before the colour comes back.
If after repeated attempts it doesnt go to colour, reboot the ATV and go through the steps again.

I have got this to work 100% of the time. (When I say 100% mean after a few cycles of steps 1,2 &3)
be patient and it WILL turn blue :slight_smile:

Followed your instructions…and you were right!!! after the 3rd time colour is enabled. The problem is now that if you reboot you loose colour again… so close

If you keep following the instructions above it will come back to colour. It’s a royal pain but it works.
It seems to be a software issue so hopefully it will be fixed soon… Aside from some slight problems this software IS excellent!

Not a particularly practical solution in my case where the apple TV is being used in my car for long journeys. However in this case I’ve decided to use a WD TV unit which is no way as neat as ATV but it does the job, has composite output and reads all sorts of file formats.

Colin

I’ve got a WDTV too. It’s simple to use and works great (especially with the WDLXTV firmware allowing FTP when a USB network adapter is attached).
But… (apart from all the other extras) the Apple TV is much better at handling subtiles (in my case I live in Poland and Polish subtitles are a must when friends are over). :slight_smile:
The WDTV is smaller and runs ALOT cooler so for your purposes it’s much more appropriate.

Thanks jaysee - it worked! But you sure do need a little patience.

First tried the 3 steps 3 times and it didn't work; then I rebooted ATV; Tried again 3 times - still didn't work. BUT then I 3 times chosed to Remove from rc.local and suddenly it work... It is VERY strange.

Untili the next ATV reboot...

Hey Guys...

Been trying to install CompositeTV on my ATV, but when I try to install, it downloads, then hangs... Nothing happens till I hit the menu button, and then when I try to activate the plugin, its not available.

Have read this thread, and have been following the instructions, nothing has been happening. Any suggestions?