Infuse sees but cannot connect to SMB share; VLC, all others normal

Hi folks,
Looking to try alternate options for streaming media from a home file server. Infuse seems to tick most of my desired boxes, but I cannot get SMB shares working which is a major blocker.

File server (‘Teabag’) is a custom build running Debian hosting Samba and MiniDLNA shares. All devices also on the network (Win 11 box, Win 10 box, Ubuntu box, multiple Android phones) can see the SMB share and access it as would be expected.

Network backbone is a bunch of Ubiquiti gear, can provide details if deemed relevant. AppleTV is not on a separate subnet and access attempts are entirely local, no VPN shenanigans or anything.

On the AppleTV we’re currently using VLC, which is able to see and access the SMB share as would be expected. Infuse can also see the SMB share, however when I provide login details and attempt to actually establish a connection it fails instantly with a generic unhelpful ‘Error’ message:

An error occurred
Sorry, Infuse encountered an error while trying to connect.

I can’t seem to find any logs or similar which would point me in the direction of what might be the root cause. Nothing seems to change if I correctly specify workgroup, SMB protocol version etc under Infuse’s ‘Advanced’ options. Infuse can also see and connect to the DLNA share without issue - the problem is just with SMB.

Samba config, in case anyone can see anything which might be a blocker to Infuse:

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = Teabag
        netbios name = Teabag
        interfaces = bond1
#Security
        bind interfaces only = yes
        security = user
        map to guest = bad user
        server min protocol = SMB3

#Connectivity
        wins support = yes
        browsable = yes
        printable = no

#Private shares
[Common]
        path = /RAID
        read only = no
        guest ok = no
        valid users = @users

#Public shares
[Music]
        path = /RAID/Music
        read only = yes
        public = yes
        guest ok = yes

[Movies & TV]
        path = /RAID/Video
        read only = yes
        public = yes
        guest ok = yes

Any ideas?

Sorry you’re having problems getting connected, maybe some of the info in the users guide will help. There’s a section at the bottom also that has some trouble shooting ideas that may help.

Thanks, but that page just tells me that SMB shares should be supported and how to set up a new SMB share on a host machine for Infuse to access, which is not particularly relevant here. The sole suggested Troubleshooting step is to manually specify the correct SMB protocol version, which as above I’ve already tried :slight_smile:

You may try setting the min SMB version to SMB2, to see if this makes a difference.

If you’re able to submit a report from Infuse (and post the 5 digit code here) we can get more info on what may actually be causing this.

Apologies for the delay in responding, we’ve been away on a short holiday over the Easter break.

SMB2 v 3 specified doesn’t seem to fix anything. SMB3 as a required minimum implemented server-side is needed as otherwise a cheaper media player on the network attempts to use a mangled implementation of SMB2 and fails.

No change observed:

• Have just checked that tvOS is at the latest 16.4 version, Infuse at 7.5.1.
  • VLC running on the AppleTV is able to access SMB share without issue, as are all other devices on network and the TV itself (not the AppleTV, underlying Android TV install) via VLC.
  • Infuse fails instantly with ‘An error occurred’ when attempting to authenticate to SMB share.
  • Infuse is able to access DLNA share hosted on same fileserver as SMB share without issue.
  • AppleTV’s network connection is wired via ethernet.

As requested have submitted diagnostics, log dump should be under code XR76B.

1 Like

I have had this exact same issue for at least a year-furthermore, this has been an issue on & off since Infuse’s inception. This is what I paid a lifetime license for.

Ooof. I have to say, have not been particularly happy about paying a monthly sub fee while an advertised core feature is mysteriously broken (Infuse trial wasn’t an option given my media library - refused to play the vast majority of our files), so can imagine your frustration at forking out for the full lifetime cost!

FIRECORE we know you’re listening! What are you going to do about this? Oh, that’s right. Nothing. Thanks in advance.

It may help if you’d add to the info

Let me clarify by saying I have tried EVERYTHING that I heave read through countless hours-actually days of coming at this from every angle imaginable. Trust me, I’ve been online since its inception and have never bothered to post anything until now. I wouldn’t do it without exploring every avenue possible.

I don’t see where you posted a 5 digit code from submitting a diagnostics here in the thread as requested.

1 Like

There are some errors in your logs stating the ‘TXXXXg.local’ server cannot be found on the network, so this may be related to a network issue. Also, in the past I recall some anecdotal reports of VLC’s SMB implementation causing issues for other apps. I’m not sure if this is still the case, but it’s possible this may be playing a role if you have it installed on the same device.

It also looks like you may have switched the SMB version in Infuse to SMB2, and that results in a ‘SMB2 dialect not supported’ which is expected if the minimum version on the server is set to SMB3.

There is not a large benefit to SMB3 compared to SMB2 on a local network. In fact, if all SMB3 features are enabled on the server (specifically full packet encryption) you will substantially slower speeds compared to SMB2.

“Let me just quote one of thousands of other people with the same problem, from two yers ago! “ Something like Infuse that “just works”?
Family has been without local streaming for four months now, I’ve probably put 80 hours into troubleshooting it and changing settings, I’ve seen “there’s an error” message thousands of times at least trying to get this working. Firecore just ignore tickets even though it’s a paid service.

Enough is enough. It’s too late to refund Infuse, but what else can we buy that will let us do what Infuse used to? After so much time wasted on Infuse I’m ready to pay big bucks for a reliable solution. Everyone in my family now considers Infuse to be total garbage, they’ve stopped even trying to get it to work again. They just watch the same old ■■■■ ok Netflix now.”
I’m not playing the game, the five digit code is called kick the can. Thanks anyway.

Thanks for the response James - uh, I may be misreading things, but I’m a little confused by some of it though?

There are some errors in your logs stating the ‘TXXXXg.local’ server cannot be found on the network, so this may be related to a network issue.

As above, TXXXXg.local would be the media server Teabag, and yes, there certainly are problems with Infuse streaming over our network - this is what I’m trying to get help with :slight_smile: However, I’m hoping that you could help me narrow down what Infuse thinks the network issue might be, because nothing else on the network has any problem contacting the file server, no other app running on the AppleTV (VLC and MrMC tested) has issues, and Infuse itself does not have issues using another protocol.

Also, in the past I recall some anecdotal reports of VLC’s SMB implementation causing issues for other apps. I’m not sure if this is still the case, but it’s possible this may be playing a role if you have it installed on the same device.

Yes, as above, VLC is indeed installed on the AppleTV. I can uninstall it and test tonight if you feel this is likely to be an issue.

It also looks like you may have switched the SMB version in Infuse to SMB2, and that results in a ‘SMB2 dialect not supported’ which is expected if the minimum version on the server is set to SMB3.

Now this is interesting. I’m not 100% sure what you’re saying, but if you mean that the logs show Infuse is specifically trying to use SMB2, this is a clear bug. On my end, since being installed, Infuse has always only been left on auto or with SMB3 specifically set in the advanced connection dialogue.

There is not a large benefit to SMB3 compared to SMB2 on a local network. In fact, if all SMB3 features are enabled on the server (specifically full packet encryption) you will substantially slower speeds compared to SMB2.

As I note above, SMB3 is set as a server-side minimum as otherwise a cheap Android media player (nothing to do with the AppleTV or the issues here, a totally separate device used by our toddler daughter) attempts to connect via a broken version of SMB2 and fails. Per Infuse documentation, I understood SMB3 to be supported, so this should not be a blocker…?

So odd when the (owner? lead programmer?) of Infuse personally attempts to help dissatisfied users troubleshoot their issues with his software by offering to view technical data from the user’s own system, they prefer to respond by shooting him down and loudly complaining about his company’s lack of response — instead of actually letting the man attempt to help.

Good luck with that approach.

I’ve been active on this forum nearly every day for close to two years and have posted extensively about half a dozen different interface flaws/bugs/glitches/issues I’ve detected in Infuse — most still outstanding — and would greatly appreciate if Firecore’s attention were instead directed toward acknowledging, confirming, and fixing the issues I’ve taken so much time here to lay out … but instead, they’re trying to help you and you’re refusing the offer. :roll_eyes:

Uh, so, this thread seems to be getting a little off track; I’m not quite sure where this escalation has come from but I’m not trying to attack anyone here, just trying to get SMB working :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, and I’d like to see you (and all others who visit here later) do so. I appreciate your efforts to explain the problem, respond to questions, and submit diagnostics. That gives the folks in the best place to help the best shot at finding a solution — which will make the experience of the software better for everyone.

My take on @james ‘ advice re: VLC was, yes, try removing VLC and see if that fixes your SMB issue. Wouldn’t be the first time two pieces of software doing similar things conflicted with each other in odd ways.

Still no improvement.

• VLC and MrMC deleted - no other apps installed in the TvOS environment touch the local network or support SMB.
  • TvOS updated to latest 16.4.1
  • AppleTV restarted.
  • Infuse Share browser sees Teabag SMB share as expected.
  • Manually specify SMB3 protocol in Advanced section.
  • Access attempt with no credentials supplied (per Samba config above should map to guest user) instantly fails with generic ‘Error’ message.
  • Fully credentialled access attempt instantly fails with generic ‘Error’ message.

In case it is of assistance I have generated a new diagnostic dump - ZF0ST . So to reiterate, this is taken in an environment where:

• TvOS v16.4.1;
  • Infuse is the only SMB-capable app installed;
  • SMB v3 is manually specified for all SMB access attempts;
  • DLNA access continues to work perfectly.
1 Like

Forgive if I missed it, but have you tried anything else, like NFS?

Yes, as stated just above, Infuse is able to see and access DLNA shares without issue :slight_smile: