Infuse Pro: Changing video thumbmail image for my own videos

Hi,

When using Infuse Pro with my own videos, I typically want to override the thumbnail image that Infuse chooses automatically from the video, and select a better one.
I am aware that you can put an image alongside the video file for this, which is what I want to do, but it doesn’t always seem to work as I would expect.

When using InFuse Pro on an iPad, the thumbnails are displayed either in portrait, or in landscape mode, depending on the orientation of the iPad, or whether you are viewing all videos in a directory, or the page with details about a specific video.

E.g if my iPad Pro is in portrait mode, the thumbnails are portrait when viewing all my videos, but if I select a video, then the details page shows the image in landscape.

The problem that I am having, is that if the image is displayed in portrait format, the image I put alongside the video is used.
However, if it is displayed in landscape mode, Infuse reverts back to the image that Infuse chose from the video. I don’t want it to do this!

So, my questions:

1. Are there specific rules I need to follow to get my image to always be displayed?
  2. Do I need to supply 2 images, 1 for landscape, and 1 for portrait? If so, how would they be named?
  3. Are there any guidelines for the best resolution/dimensions to use for the images?
  4. Do I need to do anything else to make sure it works correctly on all devices, including Apple TV?

I can’t find any information about this, but if it exists, I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction!

Thanks for your help

Liz

Welcome to the forum!

Infuse supports both landscape and poster artwork, and you can add one or both to use with you files.

Some general info on sizing and naming conventions can be found here.

Hi James,
Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the delay in responding.

I still can’t get this to work on my IPAD Pro how I think it should, unfortunately.

So, I added 2 images in the same directory as the video, one for landscape (1920 x 1080) and one for portrait/poster (1000 x 1500), which I believe are the recommended sizes from the link you provided. It’s not exactly clear what I should name the files however , so if the video is called [video name].mp4, I’ve tried
[video_name].png
[video_name]-poster.png
[video_name]-landscape.png
and various other combinations.

But whatever I try, I cannot get the landscape image to appear. Only the poster image gets displayed, and only when my iPad is in landscape mode.
I.e.

1. iPad in landscape mode, video info page displays video poster image correctly.
  2. iPad in portrait mode, the video info page should display landscape image png, but always still displays an Infuse selected image from the video, irrespective of how I name the png.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Liz

Is it not possible to do what I want then?
Thanks
Liz

If you followed the link from James you can see there are two options. Portrait poster which is moviename.png and landscape which is moviename-fanart.png

I did follow the link but it really wasn’t clear.
The word “landscape” doesn’t even appear on that page, so how it’s possible to work out that landscape = fan art, I have no idea!

Thank you for the clarification.

Liz

Yes, there could be a little more detail to the page