Infuse on Apple TV with PMS

I have a Plex Media Server on my NAS (Synology), to store my media. And I use Infuse (with subscription) on my Apple TV 4k (1080p display) to listen to movies and tv series. I use Handbrake to recode or downsize movies to 1080p. I use the apple tv hevc preset with 1080p size mostly. I save the files in m4v

On some movies, mostly anmiation where there are a lot of the same colors on the picture, the quality is really, but really bad. Lots of compression artefacts. When looking at the PMS status, I see that the movie is playing directly with no transcoding. When I look at the same scene on my computer in VLC (or on the web UI of Plex), the picture is perfect.

You can see attached the same scene from my PC and from the TV.

I’ve tried different codecs like h264 or h265, and it doesn’t make a difference.

screenshot_2020-03-07_plex.png

Welcome to the forum!

Can you check to ensure the Match Content options are enabled on your Apple TV?

I did indeed some research, and found other post suggeting that. I already tried, and whether on or off, I get the same results.

Do the videos look good with out re-encoding?

If I use the native Plex app, it does re-encode, but colors are dull. In plex, I do not see a meen to force re-encode.

Have you tried Infuse on the original 4K files without all the re encoding?

When I use Infuse, there is no transcoding. And yes, when I added the samba share and opened the file directly, it still shows the same severe compressions artifacts. The file is 1080p.

Sorry if I did not understand your last post. But you said, that you downsize movies with handbrake. People ask to add the original not downsized picture to Plex and then play it in Infuse.

Plex will not transcode as all movies played with Infuse will direct play. However Infuse will then downsample to 1080 in case the display can not handle higher resolutions

When you do this, do you still get artifacts?

Sorry if I was not clear enough. The original file from the BR is like 20-30 gigs. I do not have the place to keep the original files. I process them trough HB to reduce the size and to downsize to 1080p. That file, produced from HandBrake, when played on Infuse is showing those artefacts. Direct play, no transcoding. Smae file played in VLC is perfectly fine.

When I used the original file, then infuse (or is it PMS?) does transcode since my display is 1080p. Then it’s displaying fine.

I will search trough what I have here to see if movies that had a 1080p original size do the same things…

I will do some tests with slightly larger than 1080p.

If the original 4K plays perfectly fine in infuse and the 1080p does not then it’s a problem with your handbrake re-encodes. In this case I’d recommend going to the handbrake forums to se what’s going on.

1 Like

Then how come it plays perfectly in VLC or any other player ?

How about running mediainfo on the video that you hare having problems with and posting the results.

Sure, for example :

General
Complete name                            : \\192.168.6.6\video\Movies\Finding Dory (2016)\Finding Dory (2016).m4v
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                                 : mp42 (isom/iso2/mp41)
File size                                : 2.97 GiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 37 min
Overall bit rate                         : 4 388 kb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2020-02-08 07:24:13
Tagged date                              : UTC 2020-02-08 07:24:13
Writing application                      : HandBrake 1.2.0 2018121700

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main@L4@Main
Codec ID                                 : hvc1
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding
Bit rate                                 : 2 589 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Minimum frame rate                       : 23.974 FPS
Maximum frame rate                       : 23.981 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.052
Stream size                              : 1.76 GiB (59%)
Writing library                          : x265 2.9:[Windows][GCC 7.1.0][64 bit] 8bit+10bit+12bit
Encoding settings                        : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=3 / numa-pools=12 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=1920x1080 / interlace=0 / total-frames=0 / level-idc=0 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / no-repeat-headers / annexb / no-aud / no-hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / open-gop / min-keyint=24 / keyint=240 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=25 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / radl=0 / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=2 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / no-strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=3 / limit-modes / me=3 / subme=3 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=4 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=1.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=crf / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=0 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=1 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=9 / transfer=16 / colormatrix=9 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0 / max-cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=255 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / no-hdr / no-hdr-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=5 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-mv-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Menus                                    : 4
Codec configuration box                  : hvcC

Audio #1
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC LC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 893 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels
Channel layout                           : C L R Ls Rs Lb Rb LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 620 MiB (20%)
Title                                    : Surround
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1

Audio #2
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : AAC LC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 896 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels
Channel layout                           : C L R Ls Rs Lb Rb LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 622 MiB (20%)
Title                                    : Surround
Language                                 : French
Default                                  : No
Alternate group                          : 1

Sure, if you downsize a movie not only for resolution but also on file size purpose, you loose picture information and you will get artifacts.

Other players might add a soft focus effect or something. Infuse will play the file as is.

To what file size do you shrink 20GB? What are your Handbrake settings?

Edit: OK just saw that the filesize is art 3GB. So that is about the 10% of the original file size. So for sure you get artifacts.

I’ll try to see with vlc or other players if I can see if they do something.

In HB, I use the preset for device / apple tv 2060p/4K (uses h265), and adjust the dimensions.

I must point out that I search trough the movies I have done this way that the ones that where originaly in 1080p are fine.

your video bitrate of 2.5 kb/s for 1080p seems a bit low. For example YouTube recommends 8 kb/s for 1080p

Out of the 10% 3GB file size your video is only 1.7 GB

can you post a screenshot of your Handbrake Video settings screen?

The recommended settings for an x264 video encoding (which is the default on Handbrake) is RF (Rate Factor) 18 to 22 for Standard Definition. For higher definitions, you can play with the Quality bar, 19 to 23 for High Definition, RF 20 to 24 for Full High Definition and 22 to 28 for Ultra High Definition.

And you might consider to update Handbrake. Your version is outdated since 12/2018

Do you need to be able to play the files using the original ATV player? If not, you might want to consider the MKV H.265 1080p30 preset

I tried to lower rf factor, and I got the same results.

Attached. It’s the default for apple hevc.

I also did that this afternoon. Same results.

I don’t mind the player, I’ll try that.

I don’t mind the player, I’ll try that.[/quote]
I did tried with the matroska / h265-1080p preset, and it yielded the same results on the appletv. Still looks fine in VLC.

VLC on the ATV or on your PC?

Just for Test
Can you put the original 30GB file on your NAS and try this one. Just to make sure that its not a problem of the original file. (You can even add it to your Plex Library when its stored on your PC or Mac if you don’t have space.

Can you try the encode to a different resolution? Perhaps 720p or if the source is higher than 1080p use original resolution?

Why are you obtaining high end 4K files in the first place? Why not just obtain the proper 1080p in the first place? It seems like a lot of extra work for nothing.

1 Like