Infuse macOS public beta - updated 5/5/21

I just don’t have any shows or movies showing up in my library at all! Not sure if I’m doing something wrong or not.

This is my first mail to the community, I therefore ask for the understanding of the readers, in case I make one or two things not as it is supposed to be.
I have my movies and TV series in my NAS in France and do watch them via Infuse in Germany. I use the WebDAV protocol for that both on my Apple TV and iPhone. On the MacOS version, I have noticed the following points to mention:

• Subtitles: The option to choose a subtitle online and embed it to the movie, doesn’t work on the Mac version. Even the (separate) subtitle files within the same movie folder are not available to choose in this beta version. Only the burned one’s are to reach out to. (see the picture

• The script at the top line doesn’t show perfectly whenI switch to “full screen”. However, I assume this is just an aesthetics issue and is easy to deal with. (see the picture [Aesthetics - Script Up the Bar line|690x244])

• The fetching never stops: Anytime, I open the software, it starts fetching and doesn’t ever end up until I close the app. However, despite to my other colleagues, I do not experience a major heating either while watching a movie or by having the app fetch. (upload://xH7qZrIO0cyuY8DKN35rk6GvhEM.jpeg)

Thank you for this opportunity to be part of the team.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, everyone! :christmas_tree::santa:

Infuse for macOS alpha 2 is now available for testing.

To make it feel a little more Mac-like, a option in the menu bar for settings would be nice with the keybinding of ⌘+, to be inline with other macOS applications (this might be part of the settings-rework mentioned)

4 Likes

I can’t save my movies to the app, I’m trying to import them via Finder and it just plays the movie, but it somehow saves them to the app Also, I can’t download the subs through the player.
Thanks for everything, take care of yourself !!!

2 Likes

(M1 MBA, 11.1, alpha b2, Diagnostics: G9Z1V) Scrolling too fast down a list, this happens:

1 Like

I’d love to see the ‘Get More’ subtitles from OpenSubtitles feature on Mac if that’s possible. I’m also echoing daleonidas’s suggestion on the app volume control being separate from the system volume. In terms of performance, no issues so far!

I also wanted to comment on how sleek, minimalistic, and fantastic the media playback interface is on Infuse compared to even the most basic apps like QuickTime Player. Nice job!

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for your work!

My first notice on Alpha 2:

iMac, Late 2013, Intel Core i7 3,5 GHz, 24 GB RAM, macOS 11.1

(1) If there is no embedded thumbnail in mp4-File, there is also no generated thumbnail. Only a black square.

(2) (Perhaps no bug): If changing to a fullscreen by playback a movie, the fullscreen also stays after ending movie playback for the Infuse-interface. It would be nice to have the old position of the app after ending movie playback.

1 Like

When clicking “Share” on a downloaded file, Infuse freezes. Even quitting and restarting Infuse didn’t help. I guess there is still some background process running? I had to restart the entire Mac.
My code is: GS7C1 (after restarting the Mac though as Infuse was frozen).

1 Like

[BUG] When paused, the video is rewinded backwards one second when switching between screens.
Code: YX5QG

Video:
https://streamable.com/h37wu0

1 Like

A few macOS integration remarks:

• The volume slider is linked to the system volume: this is not good, it should be on the app level, but I guess this is WIP
  • The player controls appear where the subtitles are: it should maybe be possible to move the controls panel and its location should be remembered, or maybe there are other solutions
  • I suspect this maybe unpreventable Catalyst behavior: but the app quits when closing the main window: maybe it should stay open?
  • I still automatically go to the menu bar to change video settings or subtitles, but I guess those are also WIP :slight_smile:
2 Likes

This is on our list. :slight_smile:

On macOS, you won’t be able to save videos to the app. But you will be able to have a local folder added to the Infuse’s library. The way to do this (at least right now) is to create a share for your Mac, and then add the folder(s) you want to import as favorites).

List view definitely still needs some love. :slight_smile:

It’s on our list. :slight_smile:

Do you have metadata fetching enabled?

This is something we may look into.

Thanks!

WIP

Good suggestion. Thanks!

Will investigate.

This may be something we look at adding.

2 Likes

Yes, it is enabled. In the metadata of some of my mp4-files there are no thumbnails. In these cases there appear black squares. If a thumbnail is integrated in the metadata, it is shown correctly. (Like the screenshot down) In the IOS-apps of Infusion a thumbnail will be generated, if there is no in the metadata. But in the macOS-version this seems to fail at this time.

macOS:

IOS:

Do these videos contain a black screen within the first 30s or so?

We’ll have to look into the logic we’re using to generate thumbnails, but this may be a case of Infuse generating a thumbnail from a point in the video that happens to be a black screen.

As a simple workaround, you can add fan art for these videos to give them custom artwork.

EG

Filename1.mkv
Filename1-fanart.jpg

The videos have content just from the beginning. There are no black screens after 1s. And the problem is only in mp4-files without embedded thumbnail. Mkv works without a problem. The workaround I will test - but as I said in the IOS-Apps (which I use for my library on various tv-screens at home) there is no need to do this.

1 Like

File names do not show under videos. It doe show under folders. ( I prefer folder view for quick finding things). So far so good!

1 Like

For me it is very usable as of now. But of course possible to improve… :slight_smile:

• window handling is awkward. window bigger than screen, does not remember position if you quit etc etc
  • I miss downloading subtitles from the iOS version

great work guys :+1:

I’ve noticed that when you enter fullscreen playback and you click Esc key on the keyboard it stops playback and goes to a smaller window. I don’t think it should stop playback when it goes to the un-maximised size. Other video players that I’ve tested work this way, Plex, VLC, IINA etc.

1 Like