Infuse lipsync HDMI ARC

Hi,

I have the following setup:
PC connected to Xiaomi Mi TV 4 via HDMI2
Apple TV with Infuse connected to Xiaomi Mi TV 4 via HDMI3
Bose SoundTouch 300 (soundbar) connected to Xiaomi Mi TV 4 via HDMI1(ARC)

I observe massive lipsync (delay in sound) when playing anything from Infuse (- YouTube). When I switch from RAW output to PCM in TV settings it’s getting ‘a little’ better but lag is still noticeable. It first I was thinking about TV/Soundbar/ATV issue but then I started testing different sources.

PC playing the same John Wick 4k movies doesn’t make any problem. Youtube app on ATV works fine as well - no delays. Playing videos from Photos app on ATV - no problem. Doesn’t matter what I’m playing in Infuse it starts lagging.

Any ideas on that?

PS: Problem is only while using HDMI ARC mode connection. When I switch to TV’s built-in speakers it starts working fine.

diagnostics code HPRR3

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

If using ARC, I would recommend setting the Apple TV > Video and Audio > Surround Sound option to Dolby Digital, as this will be the only way to get 5.1 audio passed to your soundbar.

Hi James,

switched from “Best Quality Available” to first to Dolby and it didn’t help. Then selected Stereo and seems like it got fixed.

My media file has dts 5.1 audio stream. For example MrMC plays with no problem with both settings “Dolby” and “Stereo”, so I suppose the problem is somewhere in Infuse.

Thanks for the info.

Is this affecting all videos, or just a few? Have you tried something with Dolby or AAC audio?

This may be related to similar issue we’ve been working to resolve which appears in some cases when using AirPlay.

I’ve made some further investigation and all movies regardless its size with 5.1 or 7.1 DolbyDigital or DTS are playing with lag. Movies with audio channel stereo AAC playing with no problems.

Hi everyone,
I made the same observations.
My lg tv is also connected via hdmi arc to my Yamaha receiver. Movies playing from infuse (1080p or 4K) have a sound delay. Everything else playing from Apple TV is fine and also my pi with kodi is working without that problem. If more information is needed for finding the cause of this issue I’m glad to help :slight_smile:

James, any info on that issue? Is your team planning to fix it?

I have the same problem.
Sound and Video of infuse content is not in sync when using my Sonos Beam via HDMI ARC.
This happens both with dolby and DTS audio.
I have a LG OLED B7 TV.
itunes, Netflix and Amazon Prime movies on the Apple TV are not affected.
The sync problems only occur with infuse.

We have a number of improvements aimed at addressing cases like this which are currently in beta testing for the 5.8.4 update.

If you are interested in trying out the beta before the public release please let me know.

I’m having this problem both on my AppleTV 4K, and my AppleTV 4… same TV, one is connected directly in the soundbar, the other not…

@james can i get added back on the beta channel again?

Infuse 5.8.4 with a number of improvements for audio issues in certain cases is now available. :slight_smile:

Sorry to report the problem is still there. Any news James?

Something I’ve noticed is that it is easily replicated. It happens on specific files, so for instance I have a 1080p film with audio in DTS-HD MA 5.1 and the problem didn’t happen. But in another similar file that’s 1080p with DTS-HD MA 7.1 it does happen.

Now my ATV4K is set to change audio to Dolby digital 5.1… could this be the issue? That it’s happening with anything not encoded in 5.1? I’m gonna do more research.

Edit: yes I just tried a mnother random 5.1 film and it didn’t have the problem. Gonna check a 7.1 film

Edit 2: I just tried with a TrueHD 7.1 film and it didn’t have the problem. So perhaps it’s not the channels but converting DTS-HD MA 7.1
One thing I’ve noticed is the audio always lags. But it’s ok at the start., it gets worse over time, so after 5 minutes it might be a fraction behind the video, but after 30mins it’s a good second behind the video. If I pause and play again, then the problem stops, but it will get worse again over time.

I’m a software engineer by trade, and I work with streaming, this looks like perhaps that converting specific types, isn’t running exactly at real time… if I’m right, that say converting TrueHD 7.1 is less taxing than DTS-HD MA 7.1 then that makes sense to what I’m seeing. Also converting DTS-HD MA 5.1 would be less taxing on the cpu, as it’s only converting one format to another, it doesn’t also have the overhead of downsampling on top of this.

Edit 3: I just noticed it in another DTS-HD MA 5.1 file. So perhaps it’s not the number of channels but it’s definitely DTS-HD MA

Edit 4: so a film I can make this happen 100% on, I just tested my theory that it’s putting too much strain on the appletv. So I ran it through the plex app, where I my server handles the workload. … same issue.

I noticed the issue happening in Hulu, but unlike plex or infuse when I paused the video and started it again, the audio sync issue didn’t temporarily resolve itself. I then quit the app and started it again, and then the issue temporarily resolved itself.

I quickly realised that Hulu didn’t stop the audio signal to the tv… I didn’t see the top information bar on my tv change like it does in other apps.

So I could then rule out the Apple TV as the problem. It’s happening cross apps and it seems to fix itself when the audio signal is stopped and then started anew.

I then mid stream changed the output to tv for audio and the issue went away as the OP stated… I grabbed an optical cable and used that, and the issue still happened. I now ruled out anything weird with HDMI ARC.

I went through the tv settings and on my Sony Bravia I found an option called AV Sync. Which for some reason was set to “Auto” … I turned it off and it fixed it.

The fix.
If your TV has a AV Sync option. Turn it off!!

I found mine in the Sound Settings. Near the bottom.

This was the hardest thing to debug since the TV and the AppleTV both received updates at the same time.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.