Infuse - h.265 HEVC

Yes, it does look like you can drop a group of files or a folder into MediaInfo and it will parse through them all. You’ll still need to select a file from a drop down list to view the details, but that is much quicker than dropping in files on by one.

To be honest, we don’t need exact details for all your files…just a general idea of the type of files you have would be helpful.

Gotcha! Will fill out the form. I scanned my main folders then did a copy and paste into text edit and did a search for each of the main bit rates and let the app give me the totals.

Cool. Thx. 8)

Done!

:slight_smile:

Did the survey too. It’s interesting that you include the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus in the survey, suggesting you may be targeting devices as old as that. I guess that makes sense though since its A8 has the same CPU core as the iPad Air 2’s A8X, just 2 instead of 3 cores. However, before the survey, I might have guessed the main targets would have been A9 (iPhone 6s) and A8X (iPad Air 2), for software HD HEVC h.265 decode. I don’t know anything about coding though; it was just a random guess based on general horsepower of those SoCs.

Interestingly, the iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 do have hardware HEVC AFAIK, because it was advertised for FaceTime starting with the iPhone 6’s A8. I just wish Apple would expose the hardware HEVC support. However, I’m not sure whom to blame. Should I just be blaming the HEVC patent holders and their disaster of a patent pool situation, or should I be blaming Apple too? I assume the developers at FireCore have no direct access to it. If no developer access, I wonder how that works in terms of the royalties. Wouldn’t they still need to pay the royalties anyway if they are using it in FaceTime? Or have they just stopped using it in FaceTime too to avoid paying the royalties? I note Apple has stopped talking about HEVC altogether these days, even for FaceTime. If they’ve stopped using it, maybe it is indeed due to the patent pool shenanigans.

FYI current Apple TV has a A8 processor.

Good point. I had momentarily forgotten it had A8, and mistakenly thought it had A9. I guess potentially targeting the similarly endowed iPhone 6 makes more sense in that context.

However, the iPhone 6 has only 1 GB RAM. Would that be an issue at all? Apple TV, iPhone 6s, and iPad Air 2 all have 2 GB RAM.

Don’t know.

I can’t wait for next Apple TV generation. Hopefully, an 4K HDR with full HEVC x265 support and the A10 processor (maybe A11).

Imagine the power compared to current Apple TV. ?

There were some pretty great announcements from Apple today, and it was especially nice to hear the focus they put on HEVC and 24p.

We’ll need to do some digging to see how deep these go, but there’s a chance some of these changes may be available on current devices like the ATV4…which would be awesome! :smiley:

I wish they would put more effort on tvOS 11. ?

At least Tim Cook said that we will see a lot more on Apple TV later this year.

True, but the fact they talked specifically about codecs, HDR, and refresh rates is very encouraging.

Here’s hoping all of this h.265 HEVC hardware support in iOS 11 can be directly leveraged by Infuse.

BTW, some people out there with the early beta of iOS 11 are already recording in HEVC on their iPhones, and HEVC playback works perfectly apparently. I’m inclined to upgrade my iPhone to iOS 11 beta sooner rather than later (although not right now, since it’s supposed to be quite rough at the moment), mainly for the space savings, esp. from 4K video. It would be nice to be able to play those files on my iPad Air 2 with Infuse.

Things are looking very promising for HEVC on iOS/tvOS, but we obviously won’t be able to push any updates for Infuse that take advantage of these changes until iOS 11 drops in the fall. :frowning:

So glad to hear that. I’m anxiously waiting for a 4K Apple TV later this year.

This is mildly disappointing. Hardware HEVC decode will require an A9 or later.

If accurate, then that means Apple TV and iPad Air 2 will only get software HEVC decode. Battery life on the iPad Air 2 is horrible with software decode, not surprisingly.

OTOH, we’re good to go with my our iPhone 6s and 7 Plus. Also, partially for this reason, I waited just about forever to upgrade my 2009 MacBook Pro and 2010 iMac. I just ordered a Kaby Lake MacBook and a Kaby Lake iMac and as expected they will get full 10-bit hardware HEVC decode.

Great purchase! ??

I was 98% sure A8 and A8X would get hardware 8-bit HEVC decoding up to 1080p, but I guess was wrong.

Since Apple TV 4th gen is A8, I’m guessing this means we will get a 4K HDR Apple TV in 2018 built around an A11 SoC (which comes out in the fall of 2017).

The new iMacs, MacBooks, and MacBook Pros are all Kaby Lake, and all support HDCP 2.2 (including the MacBooks). Furthermore, the iMacs and MacBook Pros are HDR. And the iMacs have 4K or 5K screens, while the remaining Macs (excluding the now dead MacBook Air) have greater than 2K screens. My iPhone 7 Plus is also HDR.

Firecore has its work cut out for it with iOS 11 and macOS 10.13 High Sierra! :slight_smile:

P.S. Speaking of extra work… Is there going to be an auto HDR to SDR conversion setting in Infuse eventually? I don’t think this should necessarily be a priority, but I was just curious.

My guess is we will have a 4K HDR Apple TV by this fall. That would match with what Tim Cook said on WWDC: “You will be hearing a lot more on Apple TV later this year”.

What will we have on Apple TV later this year besides the launching of tvOS 11?

Just found this: http://alex4d.com/notes/item/notes-on-apple-hevc-and-heif-from-wwdc17
There is a slide about apple hardware HEVC capabilities.