Infuse + Google Drive

Like others in this thread, I also use Google Drive Unlimited and Infuse and haven’t encountered any problems with API Bans or buffering. I have been doing this for about 3 months now. I don’t use the Plex Integration, I have Google Drive connected directly to Infuse.

However, I am currently in the process of looking for a backup of my Google Drive. I have about 15TB worth of 1080p/4K REMUX MKVs and I don’t want my account to get banned/terminated. I don’t use any of the sharing link features in Google for my files - Infuse is the only thing used to access/read. I have GSuite.

Does anyone have experience with Google Drive backups or suggest another method? I was thinking about getting a Synology DS918+ but still haven’t decided if I want to download and stream my movies off of the NAS. I just want to make sure I don’t lose any of my movie files since I have spent years collecting.

Any help/feedback is appreciated. I’d love to hear how other Infuse Pro users are accessing their videos. Thank you!

1 Like

The reason Amazon pulled their service is because of some numpty running a script and pushing a petabyte of data, onto a service which they charged $60/year for… Google is not stupid, they make pricing per month and per user, along with limiting daily upload amounts, and they can comfortably run with that… Remember, you are the product, more they can extract out of you the better…

Hence the encryption…

I switched from Plex Cloud to Infuse Pro for sharing my Google Drive with my family earlier this year. I still use Plex and local storage at home. The Google drive is essentially a backup for me… but they love it (And I’m only talking about a handful of people who I know would appreciate the movies.) I guess if I was to list some pros and cons:
Pro’s:
It’s awesome. Everything plays like a champ. My folks don’t have to be tech savvy. I can easily manage metadata using iCloud sync. (Also, by it being Apple TV only, it keeps them from using underpowered equipment like $30 Roku sticks or logging right into the app on their tv.) It travels so well. Going out of town, just take the Apple TV/iPad and you’re good. I can also download movies through infuse right to my iPad before getting on a plane. The game changer though is with this setup I don’t have to worry about maintaining a server. Plex cloud had so many issues, but it did introduce me to this convenience. Discovering infuse took it to the next level

Con’s:
(Before listing these, just want to state that I love infuse and understand that something like this isn’t going to be perfect. I appreciate the work that the developers put in.) Library updates take awhile. If you ever lose everything, it does come back; however it takes awhile. And there used to be the Google 24 hour ban when this happened, but it doesn’t seem to be happening anymore. Some movies of certain file formats takes take a LONG time to start playing. I have no idea what’s the difference or what causes this. Some mkv files start right up, but thers load for about 3 minutes or so for me before starting up. I’ve heard someone say it takes 10 minute, but I have never been able to duplicate that long a load time on my end. I just tell my folks that that is just the trade off for not having to deal with buffering during the movie. Another thing to look out for is you have to have rock solid bandwith, especially if a lot of devices are connected to your net at once and you absolutely must have unlimited data. From what I can tell, watching a 12Gb movie uses 12GB of data plus all the uploading you will be doing. Also, uploads to Google Drive are slow. The last con i can think of is that there are no extras and trailers for the movies and tv shows. I would just sync plex to infuse and use that if it had that. My wife likes to look at trailers while deciding what she wants to watch.

But I will say that using infuse though Google Drive is not perfect but it’s so clean and convenient. No servers to maintain. You don’t have to worry about hard drive failure. You will also have a very user friendly interface that anyone can figure out. I think you would like it. Everybody who I’ve setup this way loves it.

Seeing some pretty encouraging results here for 5.9.2. :slight_smile:

250 Google Drive folders:

• 2 minutes in Infuse v5.9.1
  • 2 seconds in Infuse v5.9.2

1000 Google Drive folders:

• 7 minutes in Infuse v5.9.1
  • 12 seconds in Infuse v5.9.2
1 Like

This is great news! It just keeps getting better!

I’m actually in the process of moving about 18tb of media to infuse (coming from pled over to infuse). The process to move files is painfully slow lol. Anyone got suggestions for decent speed file uploads ? I’m not expecting it to be 10 megs a sec upload but 2-4 megs upload would be nice and should keep me under the 75 gigs a day limit.

O.s I love love love what you guys are doing with infuse. You guys are always active on the forums, quick to respond to questions, actively pushing out updates. I started with a one year plan to test the waters but I’m going to end up with a lifetime because you’ve impressed me so much.

I used GoodSync when I did mine but I probably had 10TB then and it took months to upload everything.Around 600k/sec . When I updated my cable plan it got faster… a little under 1.2MB/s which is about an hour for a 4.5GB upload.

I have a fiber connection, so it was a pretty easy backup for me on gigabit :p. There’s really nothing you’ll be able to do if your upload speeds from your ISP are slow.

1 Like

Anybody tested 4K videos?

Is the need for Rclone + cache gone …? Is it christmas ?

1 Like

4K is a non-issue.

You didn’t know? It’s been Christmas all year! If you’re coming from that–having to mount your GDrive with rclone (possibly even PlexDrive), incessantly tinkering with cache settings–that’s all gone. With Infuse I actually get to just watch my stuff instead of playing sysadmin all day and night; it’s unreal. You’re in for a treat. The Infuse team in just the last couple minor releases have significantly improved their content scanning and indexing, and they’re not even done. It’s really fantastic. You’ve joined us at a great time.

1 Like

I’m going to try tonight, wow. Recently my rclone + cache setup stopped working for 4K and I have no idea why. Rclone is amazing but so finicky, the gf wasn’t super amazed by the setup when I needed to do some maintenance every night before we could watch something without buffering haha.

And no I didn’t know, I just saw the patch note and thought " hey maybe it works well ? ", I naively thought rclone was the best solution.

Let us know how it goes. One thing to keep in mind: just let Infuse do its thing when indexing. Especially if you have a sizeable collection. Infuse is not overly verbose in its feedback, so be sure to keep the app open at all times and do nothing else in the app. This is a downside to not have background processing, so you really do need to keep the app open and idle while it scans for content.

For reference, and this is relative to library size, you will see that Infuse will discover the number of files you have anywhere between five and twenty minutes; you’ll see the file count jump suddenly. Once that is done, Infuse begins the longer process of matching those files with metadata. That process will take as long as any other metadata fetching operation on a fresh Plex Media Server install, so expect to sit there for many hours if you have a large number of files. It’s important that you do not put the app in the background, or start doing something else in Infuse or another app. If you do that, Infuse will not be fetching anything. This is a pain point for myself and others, but Infuse is aware that it’s not ideal.

Finally, Infuse is less robust in its metadata matching than Plex. If you’re used to 98% of your content being matched in Plex by default, don’t be surprised if you only see between 70%-95% matched. I more or less spent 2018, in small bouts when I had the time, auto-renaming thousands of files. In that time, and as recently as a couple weeks ago, I believe Infuse updated their scanning techniques to also account for directory structure of TV Shows; whereas previously the file itself needed to contain both the name of the show and the standard “S##E##” string. See Metadata 101 – Firecore for reference, as they just updated that document at least twice in the last two weeks, and added those new additions. In other words, you may by default see closer to 80%-96% matching instead. I’m pulling these numbers out of thin air, but it’s just to get my point across that you need to ensure your files are named properly, as Infuse is less forgiving than Plex.

Thanks for letting me know because I would never have left infuse running ( or I would have had infuse burned in my OLED forever ), I’ll disable HDMI-CEC and let it run overnight

Good strategy. I do the same, but instead I turn off the projector and just keep the Apple TV running with Infuse open.

Don’t forget to change the Sleep setting for the ATV to its maximum 10 hours if you want to leave it running fetching metadata overnight. Change it back to normal once you are done.

The university I attended offers free unlimited G Suite Google cloud storage to all students as well as alumni. I am considering using this resource to back up my movies and use with Infuse. One concern is that the domain administrator(s) would have access to all of my data. I feel like perhaps such a free account should only be used for school purposes. I’ve also distanced myself from Google this past year because of Google’s privacy and data use practices.

I read somewhere that the data uploaded to Google cloud services can be encrypted on my end to protect my privacy. Google encrypts on their end, but that means they can also decrypt my data.

Interested in your guys’ thoughts on this.

If you intend to use this directly with Infuse, you cannot encrypt any of it; there is no support in place to be able to decrypt data.

I use Google Drive for storing media, unencrypted. Similar to you, I’ve distanced myself from Google services. Should Google decide they dislike the contents of the drive, I genuinely could not care if this data is lost. I’ve established long ago in my mind that media libraries are ephemeral. As I do not use Google for anything, and use Firefox containers to ensure that I only ever visit GDrive in a dedicated container, I also could not care that the only thing Google knows about this given profile with them is that there is media content stored in a GDrive and nothing more.

Should you intend to also store personal documents, I highly recommend you use a command line utility called rclone to encrypt the contents (this is what most people you’ve read about are using), but keep these files separate from the media files. This is going beyond the topic, but do not entrust GDrive with your sole backup of personal data; ensure that you have at least a couple of sources.

Just an FYI for anyone reading this: the 5.9.2 beta that will release in the next couple of weeks has signficantly improved file scanning/discovery in GDrive. This also means adding new content to an existing library will happen much faster.

This is easily the most apparent update to file discovery times all year. I say this completely devoid of hyperbole. This is the update I’ve personally been anticipating all year.

2 Likes

It’s taking about an hour per movie to upload to Google Drive. Would upgrading to optical fiber internet help, or does Google throttle upload speeds from their end?

Just tried this out yesterday. It’s awesome.