Infuse + Google Drive

Wondering if anyone out there purely uses Infuse with only Google Drive (Unlimited). I’m currently trying to eliminate my needs of the Plex Server and just use infuse with drive as that sounds like it would deliver my needs.

Is anyone out there doing that? And if so, how is your experience so far?

1 Like

I’ve been doing this exclusively for all of 2018, after several years on Plex hosted in my home, managing hardware, and later on remote servers.

If you’re tired of all the sysadmin nonsense that inevitably befalls anyone hosting a service, the experience with Infuse is mostly great, headache-free, and I’ve seen valuable improvements delivered throughout the year, which means the developers are focused and dedicated. The move to Infuse has reduced my bill to $10/mo for Google Drive, versus all variety of self-hosting, remote servers, etc.

You start to see slow downs the larger your content collection is with regards to indexing, opening up indexed libraries, and having new content appear, but they’re not huge downsides.

I’m too scared to add it and scan because I don’t want the 24 hour suspension lol

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what is considered a big library? I’m currently just shy of 20TB but could easily purge half of it.

I’m scared too lol, I’m trying now, it will be nice if @james could give us some kind of guideness with the topic (API ban from Google)

Most people would consider yours big. I’m around 31TB, but I use it as a backup also keep it on my Synology as well so I can only get about 10TB more before I need a new server.

For those of you scared about API bans, it seems the problems may be gone.

I was planning to create a new post about the 5.9 release, because I’ve been anticipating Infuse’s update to how they index content from GDrive, but I’ll mention it here: I’m super pleased with this release. You do not need to worry about API bans anymore. The indexing process is significantly faster. For reference, I pointed it to one of my content collections that contain 20k items, and Infuse detected all of the files in 20 minutes, which used to take hours, and then spent the next nine hours fetching metadata, which is perfectly acceptable given the size, and no slower than Plex would do it. Not a single ban; I know this because I was able to watch content when it was over, and furthermore, I used to have to endure two to three bans in order for my entire collection to get scanned in, because GDrive would ban me before Infuse could get even a third of the way through.

I’ve been very vocal about the banning and performance over this year:

I’m happy to say that 5.9 seems to have done away with them in their re-implementation of GDrive APIs.

For reference 20TB and 31TB are huge, respectively, but you will almost certainly not hit the ban at that size.

2 Likes

I am intrigued by this because I tried a similar scan and after 20 min it is still just pinwheeling, no files found. I even removed and re-added my G-Drive to see what if any effect that would have. None.

It doesn’t seem to be capable of indexing the files from G-drive incrementally, only all at once. Even on my ATV I scan the g-drive folder and same result. However if I dip into the folder view it pinwheels…loads all folders, and if I get back out it has to reload all folders again from scratch.

So for some reason I have the ability to see the folder view (Without metadata or complete file names) but I can’t seem to get it to scan any of those items into the library.

Be aware that there’s no background processing of any kind, so if you leave the app or do something else in the app, like stream, the indexing stops. Essentially, when Infuse is indexing, keep it open on the indexing screen, do nothing else, and do not let the screen or device go to sleep.

2 Likes

Thanks! testing now :slight_smile:

I added mine and it took about an hour or so to scan everything in. The downside is every refresh takes about 6 minutes, so I’ll stick with the Plex integration that takes about 15 seconds for a refresh.

Yeah, it’s still timely to get post-index updates in. I typically have to wait about 45-60 minutes to get anything new in, which is why I’ve developed the habit of leaving Infuse open on my Apple TV every night before going to bed. Background processing would greatly improve this–pulling in updates while watching something would be great.

Could you provide a bit more info about how these files are organized?

We’ve got a few things in progress for Infuse 6 that should allow us to index videos from Google Drive in a much more efficient manner, especially in cases where Infuse is having to traverse a large number of folders. AFAIK, these slowdowns only appear when you have hundreds (or thousands) of folders in Google Drive, but there may be other cases as well.

Gladly.

these slowdowns only appear when you have hundreds (or thousands) of folders in Google Drive

Would that be the entire contents of Google Drive, or the specific directories that are favorited in Infuse? If Infuse has to look at every directory in Google Drive, regardless of its favorited status (what Infuse is told to look at), then that number will be huge.

If it’s specifically the directories that power the “TV Shows” library, then it is comprised of 2019 directories, all organized as “seriesname/season/episode.ext.”

If it’s all of the favorited directories being used for Infuse’s indexed libraries (“Movies,” and “TV Shows”) then it’s 5120.

If it’s all directories in Google Drive, which includes more than just the media numbers above, then it’s hundreds of thousands, but Infuse is not pointing at any of these.

To get these counts, I just ran find . -type d |wc -l.

Thanks! There’s a very good chance the changes we have in progress will help with your library. :slight_smile:

Awesome, I’m waiting patiently.

I’ll just throw it out there, but can this also be the reason why my “TV Shows” indexed library loads so slowly? "TV Shows" library does not load or loads very slow

If people here are mentioning 20TB and 30TB as huge, what would you like to call my current 152TB GDrive (pure media)…

Biggest issue I see with direct GDrive connection, every single file on my GDrive is encrypted… And as much as some people say it doesn’t matter, I don’t trust the company that has you as a product…

I searched for Google Drive pricing and found the following:

https://one.google.com/about

$99 / month for 10 TB
$199 / month for 20 TB
$299 / month for 30 TB

And I see guys in this thread posting about multi-terabyte Google Drives and thousands of files. I don’t even see an unlimited option on that page. What am I missing? Because the prices seem exorbitant for the equivalent hard drive space you can have at home.

Thanks for enlightening me.

Google g-suite.

I’d call that “asking for the service to get changed” lol