Infuse Deinterlacing - how does it detect interlaced content?

Just a couple of queries out of interest - how does Infuse decide what is interlaced content and therefore when to add the Deinterlacing option in the dropdown?

I ask because some behaviour has surprised me. For example, my remux of my Nine Inch Nails - Beside You In Time Blu-ray is flagged as interlaced (a disc known to be flagged as interlaced despite containing progressive content - 29.97p), but Infuse doesn’t give the option to Deinterlace it and appears to play it progressively, which is correct.

I assumed Infuse would see the Interlaced flag and act accordingly, however the behaviour above seems to contradict that. Does Infuse analyse the content on-the-fly instead?

I’d also like to know how it handles MBAFF discs. I have a numbers of Blu-rays that are flagged as MBAFF, but contain progressive content or a mix of progressive/interlaced content. Infuse seems to see the MBAFF flag and applies deinterlacing regardless of the content, which very much contradicts my on-the-fly comment above. This can cause shimmering effects and other artifacts with progressive content, especially in areas of fine detail.

Infuse is able to detect whether or not content is interlaced, and deinterlace as needed (assuming the Deinterlacing setting remains set to Auto). Auto will enable interlacing as-needed, and choose the best method based on the device you are using.

The Deinterlacing setting is visible when Infuse is not able to use the included hardware decoders for playing videos. This means the setting may be visible even when playing items which are not interlaced. In these cases, interlacing would not be active - but could be forced to on/off if you feel something is actually interlaced or not.

Mixed content can get a little tricky since the flags may contradict with the actual content.

TL;DR

• Deinterlacing setting not visible = Deinterlacing is not active
  • Deinterlacing setting visible = Deinterlacing may be active

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks James, much appreciated.

Please could you clarify what you mean by “not able to use the included hardware decoders”? Does this relate to the disc I mentioned, which is flagged as interlaced, yet Infuse seems able to determine that it is entirely progressive. I’m confused by what’s going on with that particular disc.

With regards to the Auto setting, would Infuse choose the Off setting in the background if it detected that the content is progressive? I had wondered whether the Auto setting encompassed only the different deinterlace settings (Linear, Yadif and IVTC), however you seem to indicate it can also serve to switch off deinterlacing.

The included hardware decoders support certain codecs, and and other videos can be played using Infuse’s software decoders. Visually there won’t be a difference, but hardware decoders are generally more efficient and will allow for longer battery life. This is less of a concern on devices like Apple TV (and Mac) which are connected to constant power.

In cases where the hardware decoders cannot be used, Infuse will gracefully fallback to using its software-based video decoders to play the video. If these software decoders are active then you would see the option to adjust the deinterlacing option.

There isn’t a straightforward way to see how Infuse is treating a particular video file, other than to adjust the deinterlacing setting and see if you notice a change in how the video appears.

When Deinterlacing is set to Auto, Infuse may very well choose no deinterlacing, depending on the actual video being played. So this isn’t something you usually have to turn off manually.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.