An update. I’m posting on the main Infuse 4.0.3 release page (pages 12-13) and so it’s good to note what I’ve found so far:
To start with, each .m4v has embedded metadata added via Subler but Infuse can ignore embedded metadata and can think the file is a different movie or year, so you need to use the Edit feature to find the right metadata.
As far as I can tell, the problem lies directly in using the EDIT button.
On saving the selected new metadata, the app crashes with this error:
An error occurred
The operation could not be completed
and all the file directories are inaccessible up to the root mount (which remains; opening it brings back the error).
What I’ve discovered tho is that if you don’t use your own metadata and instead let Infuse pull it from the internet, there’s a way to pull the correct information automatically without pressing the EDIT button, and the update can happen correctly. Sometimes the initial listing by Infuse will misname files (example: Captain_America.m4v becomes the as yet unreleased Captain America Civil War) but if you click on the movie and if the name is correct enough or has a data on it, Infuse will re-read the metadata and can correct itself without using the EDIT button.
So this changes a few things:
- It's not the number of files in a directory as the process can still update correctly without crashing
- It does have something to do with directly EDITing the movie file, using the EDIT function
- EDIT crashes with online metadata and embedded metadata, so the type or location of metadata isn't relevant
- It doesn't always happen with all directories (smaller numbers takes longer) but once it happens it happens all the time
- It doesn't happen the first 4 or 5 times, but when you're updating a number of wrong entries, it can crash
- When it crashes, it affects the location of the mounted disks and folders; those resources become unavailable up to but not including the root folder
- If Infuse updates the metadata automatically on viewing the movie info, you can still back out and use Infuse as expected
- It's incredibly annoying, and it's been happening for the past 2 releases at least
I’ll re-add this to my earlier post which went unanswered (and why I’m posting here and in the only thread with feedback…) but hopefully this will aid Firecore in finding it.