Infuse can't connect to plex server

Everything was working fine, had plex server running on a macbook pro, accessed with infuse on apple tv 4k, all on wifi. Didn’t have enough speed for my 4k movies so i now have the server computer and the apple tv connected via ethernet to a dumb network switch. On the plex app i can now stream 4k films no problem, but infuse will no longer connect to the share. I do have wifi on still both to allow connection and control of the server via a second laptop and to stream in a secondary room via wifi (no ethernet option there). Plex app again works just fine. But I’d much rather use infuse than the plex app.

What settings should i look into to get infuse to connect to the share? Infuse finds it but wont play files or allow a speed test, i simple get “an error occurred” notice. I tried creating a new share but that didn’t change anything. Any help?

Try Disabling wifi on your MacBook. It shouldnt be needed so long as your dumb switch is connected to your main router (which it should be).

I tried that, didn’t work. I will need wifi on for the secondary room which doesn’t have a wired connection. The plex app connects just fine to both the wired and wireless apple tv’s.

I am having similar issues, under the same lan network, devices connection either with cable or wifi. Plex app and web access are fine but infuse won’t connect to the server from any apple devices… I tried ate/Mac/pad/iPhone all does now work… were you able to fix this? could you please share the steps if you remember any? thanks!

I’m not sure how the dumb switch is supposed to route traffic correctly between your data source (the Mac) and your various clients (multiple AppleTVs). Sounds like a job for a router?

A routers job is to move data between endpoints in a layer 3 environment. If it’s all layer 2 then a regular switch is ok.

1 Like

If you have any VPNs running on the plex server try uninstalling them. I’ve seen VPNs interfere with connections.

1 Like

This is late and it’s still an issue. The only way I could resolve infuse not connecting to Plex was to turn of strict security on Plex. Seems like Plex certificates aren’t allowing infuse to connect in secure mode.

1 Like

Thank you so much @101John. I have been fighting with this software for weeks - trying to troubleshoot why Infuse wasn’t playing my Plex Server content and going incredibly slow at getting metadata. I only use Plex on my local network so allowing insecure connections isn’t a show-stopper for me at the moment. Now I have remote access disabled and secure connections preferred - and it seems to be working.

1 Like

I am in the middle of troubleshooting this fault with FireCore support. They don’t see any problems in their Infuse logs but I can see this error in the Plex Server logs (when turned on to debug level):
Feb 02, 2024 16:55:15.174 [0x70000291d000] DEBUG - Request: plaintext connection from 10.1.1.21:50762 rejected because secure connections are required

If you see this in your logs (Plex has information about where your logs are stored on each platform) then try changing the setting if you’re not worried about plain text connections. I don’t think it’s a good idea to do this unless you really trust your network.

It appears to be a choice by Plex. Somewhere on their site they have a list of software and hardware that they communicate with securely. Infuse isn’t one of them. It’s a competitor so it seems Plex wants to maintain a wedge issue. Security is a big one so it probably does help them keep users from migrating to Infuse.

There are likely other factors at play here, as I am able to connect, browse, and play content from Plex in the current version of Infuse (7.6.7) with this option set to either Preferred or Required. This works locally or on a remote cellular connection.

This is a pretty vanilla Plex server with almost 100% default settings running on a Synology Diskstation.

I have opened a few issues with Infuse and they have all ended with, Oh well there is nothing to be done.
I am running Plex on a Mac Mini and Infuse on an Apple TV both are latest versions. As soon as I change from Preferred to Required Infuse can not connect.

I don’t have NAT turned on in my router. Does Infuse require any ports be open for secure communication

Which Apps Support Secure Connections?

The following Plex apps support secure connections to your Plex Media Server:

• Amazon Fire TV
  • Android (mobile)
  • Android TV
  • Apple TV
  • Chromecast
  • iOS
  • macOS (desktop)
  • PlayStation
  • Plex HTPC
  • Plex Web App
  • Roku
  • Smart TVs
    • LG (4K/UHD [webOS 3.0+])
    • Samsung (4K/UHD 2016+ models)
    • Vizio SmartCast
  • Sonos
  • Windows (desktop)
  • Xbox
1 Like

All defaults, except for ‘Secure Connections’ being set to Required.

There are no special settings enabled on the router for Infuse or Plex. I suppose if you have some router features disabled that could affect things, but I can’t say which are at fault here.

It can be hard to troubleshoot issues like this from the Infuse client side since there are so many variables with network hardware and configurations.

The errors Infuse usually gets back from Plex are something along the lines of ‘nope, you can’t connect’ or ‘can’t find that server’ which aren’t particularly helpful for actually solving issues.

Thanks for the Plex Support page reference. I have PfSense in my network and the DNS Rebind fix described on the Plex Support page seems to have resolved the problem.

2 Likes

This is interesting. I have that on my router and tried toggling that on and off and it made no difference. Apparently Plex has its own DNS Rebind protection (?) and maybe that is conflicting.

I do have Plex using “required” and it’s working now, but getting there required me to completely remove al traces of Plex on my server and starting from scratch.

I have three NICs on my server. Switching all but one, en0, off, keeping DNS Rebind protection off on the router, and then starting up Plex seems to have resolved this issue. I still get errors in the console for another connection issue.