Infuse (ATV & iOS) Recognizes MacBook as Available Share But Won't Access

I’ve shared my media folder on my MacBook Pro, and both the iOS and tvOS versions of Infuse ‘see’ it as an ‘available share’, but error out after I enter my login credentials to access it.

Same here. Running latest El Capitan, latest AppleTvOS, latest iOS 9 on iPad. Infuse throws up the same error on both “Your username and password combination isn’t right. Try again.”

BEYOND FRUSTRATING.

Good luck – you could try opening a support ticket, I did many days ago, no response. I gave up and had the Pro purchase refunded :frowning: Plex works just fine, no issues :slight_smile:

Same problem. The app is not usable since it can’t connect to the share

Oddly enough for me, it would see and play my Plex media library when the Plex Media Server was running, but would work with it’s own native Share feature.

My suggestion is to create a Sharing Only user account on your Mac. Use that to login on your Apple TV instead. Simpler.

System Preferences > Users & Groups > +

New Account: Sharing Only
Full name: whatever you want really, “infuse”?
Account name: whatever you want really, “infuse”?
Use separate password: whatever you want…

This account CANNOT be used for anything but logging into your Mac’s file shares, it’s a special kind of basic remote access account.

Next you just enable file sharing on your Mac and add the folder to share, then add the Sharing Only user account you created as a permitted user for that file share.

System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing (check the box)

Shared Folders: + to add whatever folders contain your media.
While highlighted, on the left specify the user access permissions.

• to add the Sharing only user account.

There is a button up top titled Options. Make sure you’ve checked “Share Files and Folders using SMB” and checked the “on” box next to the Sharing Only account down bottom.

Anyway, that’s what I’d do if I were file sharing from my Mac. If you’re still having issues try temporarily disabling firewall?

PS. Regarding customer technical support, I’m sure they’re overloaded with requests for help right now, they could easily spend all day answering them on the forums alone. I don’t want to sound like an apologist or anything, just a realist. If they’ve only got a couple devs on hand then their time needs to be actually making the product. And they gotta sleep and eat and live their lives… It’s still only v1 so it’s gonna change and be improved. We’re early adopters.

PPS. Let us all know if this solves your problem, maybe it’ll help steer other people in the right direction :slight_smile:

There is another thread where a user suggests checking the box for Windows sharing in the sharing panel’s “Options”. (Which the OS warns you is less secure of course.) This does work but why doesn’t the SMB choice just work?

Pointless for me anyway, as then I discovered that the new Apple TV and this version of Infuse DON’T worked with Video_TS folders. It did kinda with Apple TV 2. Needless to say I will NOT be converting my entire library of rips of DVDs I bought and paid for long ago. This whole thing is useless to me, yet again.

That’s a lot of steps when Plex ‘just-works’ – no thanks. Why would anyone want to have a separate login just to stream to their ATV when there other options that don’t require that. My MacBook isn’t running a firewall, other than what’s built into the OS – and my system runs just fine, I’m not going to create additional logins and mess with firewall settings when I’ve already got a solutions. Doesn’t seem like Infuse was ready for release – should be that involved to set it up.

I’m not sure why people are having lot’s of issues with it. I enabled SMB on my Syno NAS, created a share and user with read permissions, it was found immediately. Logged in and it loaded everything perfectly. Apparently with Mac file sharing you’ve got to login with an account that DOESNT use iCloud password. That’s why I suggest the dedicated Sharing Only account. That’s what it’s intended for.

I realize that I am sounding more and more like an apologist, but it’s version 1 software they’ve raced to get out to us ready for the holiday season. We’re early adopters, and it’s unrealistic to expect them to roll out every feature in v1. It seems a little harsh to beat them up over this so soon, they’ve got a decent track record of creating a good user experience. At the moment all the other apps I’m seeing pop up on the app store look more like western digital style folder browser (own one) than a pretty looking Apple-eqsue library oriented media player, which is kinda why I held out for Infuse.

I agree that converting Video_TS folders and ISO rips would be tiresome and time consuming. Personally I’ve not bothered ripping ours due to that reason, file size, they can’t be downloaded to mobile devices quickly, and the length of time and effort it takes. Let others do the work :stuck_out_tongue: Plus ripping is still about as legal as downloading anyway -.- I’ve seen James say that they’re looking into it and do hope to roll it out in future.

@chazTV

I wouldn’t advisee messing with firewall. Leave it enabled. Disabling for a few minutes is a last resort just to see if it’s playing a role. It shouldn’t be. Process of elimination.
According to others a Sharing Only account shouldn’t be necessary if you don’t use iCloud password, but I still think it’s a good idea. Allows you to change your primary account password without affecting the sharing account and needing to change the password everywhere else. Plus it’s added security. Give applications and network devices only the info and level of access they need. I create a dedicated user account for every app used on my network with group level permissions applied. It just means nothing has a chance of leaking out (not that it will) nor (as I said before) breaking if you change the password on your primary account.

Infuse won’t be for everyone. For me it took about twenty minutes to setup, which is 15 minutes more than most I’d imagine, because I had a lot of security settings to tinker with while turning on SMB.

There is another thread where a user suggests checking the box for Windows sharing in the sharing panel’s “Options”. (Which the OS warns you is less secure of course.) This does work but why doesn’t the SMB choice just work?

Pointless for me anyway, as then I discovered that the new Apple TV and this version of Infuse DON’T worked with Video_TS folders. It did kinda with Apple TV 2. Needless to say I will NOT be converting my entire library of rips of DVDs I bought and paid for long ago. This whole thing is useless to me, yet again.

Then I have even more security as I uninstalled Infuse, turned off file sharing and stream just fine with Plex. Thanks for stopping by though :wink:

Trying Infuse for the first time on my new Apple TV 4 and I have the same problem. I have a mac os x mini server running os x server and access works just fine from every other iOS device/program except Infuse over SMB where I just get an error message. Accessing Plex works but apparently DNLA is used so it takes several minutes before I can start browsing my media. None of the suggestions found in this thread worked. Tried with several types of accounts including “services only” but without luck. I am curious to know if anyone was able to solve this problem.