Infuse 5 or 4 to have remote acces to NAS outside Home

Hello there :slight_smile: ,

is it possible to connect Infuse using my AT4 to My NAS outside my local network ?
Like when i am on holidays would love to take my AT4 only and not my movies,series, ect …

in short, can we connect to our NAS Library outside local network using Infuse on AT4 ?

Thanks for your help

Yes, but I’d advise against it for a bunch of practical and security reasons. I’ll explain below, but I really do suggest you just keep it sweet and simple on holiday. Stream from a nice big portable hard drive connected to a nice small portable wifi router. It’s faster more reliable and doesn’t depend on you having high speed internet access.

Continuing with options if you’re interested in remotely accessing your NAS then your only safe way is to correctly setup a personal openvpn server at home and compatible portable router running a properly configured VPN client so it can tunnel into your home network. Then you could stream from the nas as normal via the protocol of your choosing, but WebDAV would be my preference. So this is right way to do it and it can be quite tricky and some service providers, some countries block or throttle VPN, things to consider.

The simpler but dangerous way to enable remote access involves a basic change in your router settings, and everyone will tell you to do it… You would either set it into the DMZ mode (awful) or open a port in your router, then forward it to the NAS thereby making it accessible to you and anyone in the world who pings your home IP address on the port you specified. Eg 123.123.123.123:5001 You’d be inviting trouble doing this. Not worth it these days. Why?

Hackers crawl the internet everyday looking for vulernable devices and NASs are very attractive low hanging fruit because of the poor security, they are usually always-on and connected with guaranteed access to other devices on the network (propagate malware) they even offer free processing power (great for bitcoin miner malware, makes the hacker money using your internet and electricity and destroys the nas, happened recently to large number of synology customers) and lastly nas often contain people’s important data (great to steal and extort with ransomware). They’re like a honeypot to a Winnie the Pooh. Very doom and gloom but it’s true.

Goodluck and happy holidays!

I used to do this via FTP on my Synology NAS and Infuse with an Apple TV I’d travel with.

Over time, the attempts to hack into that FTP share went from one every 3-4 days to once every 3-4 minutes. I had it set to blacklist external IPs after one unsuccessful login attempt that whole time. It was just a constant barrage of intrusion attempts.

I have since shut it down and moved to SFTP on a custom port, and that works fine. So far no hacking attempts outside of port scans which seem to be the norm these days, none have yet tried to login to that port after a month. It’s not an interesting enough port or address I think.

But, it does stream videos just fine while I’m remote, even to other countries. It’s really, really slow while it sits on the file browser, it’s not unusual to wait 1-2 minutes for the list of files to appear. It also takes 30-45 seconds to start playing a movie, but once it starts there is no stuttering and it’s all fine.

The right answer in the long run is likely some cloud service. I’m a fan of Dropbox for productivity apps because of how well it works across so many different iOS apps, and Amazon Drive for “dump a bunch of stuff there and forget about it.” Sadly Amazon Drive doesn’t seem very popular in the iOS/tvOS community, probably because Amazon hasn’t made it as easy as all the others.

Wow. Glad I read this thread. Just stepped up all the security on my Synology. I have been using DS File to copy files to Infuse but now I’m thinking I might just lock out all external IPs…

Like all machines now, Synology NAS’s are always trying to reach the internet for something or another, like updates. Disabling auto-update is a good idea (prevents getting a malware-laden update from hijacked server) but it doesnt stop it from looking. Fix the root problem. Just login to your router and change firewall to completely block wan net access for the NAS (give it static ip so the rule sticks to it) and any other useless devices like baby monitors, security cameras, printers, TVs lights speakers, anything which has no business communicating outside of your own home network. While you’re at it keep going, disable upnp, double-check dmz mode is disabled, make sure ports are closed and not forwarded. If you want remote access then do it safely, or don’t do it at all. For most people it’s too hard and not worth the time, far better to just wait until you get home and where able just use fast commercial cloud storage services like Dropbox.