Infuse 2 DTS support ETA?

Greetings, 

I have purcased infuse 2 because it is a great app.

For now I have purchased it mostly because to give you support for further application development because Infuse 2 is not so usable to me without DTS.

Can someone please tell me is there any ETA for infuse 2 DTS support (which is a must have audio format for anyone who have audio/video receiver and watching movies in MKV file format).

Thank you! 

DTS is one of the top things we are working to add, and we hope to have more news available soon.

I’m assuming the lack of DTS support is why the audio won’t work on a couple of my files?  I know one is DTS, and I am not sure what the other one that won’t work is.  

Getting this to work is a question of when, not if, correct?  Thanks for the help.

Yes, if you get a message like ‘Infuse is unable to play audio for this file’ it’s likely DTS related.

We’re hoping to have more news available soon.

Is DTA support available yet?

What about now?

Still waiting for an update for support of DTS on InFuse App. I have infuse on my Apple TV and there are no problems whatsoever.

Just to say that good news about DTS support would be nice.
A great leak in a global beautiful app.

Hey, longtime ATV Flash and Infuse 2.2 Pro customer here. 

+1 on DTS support. Please make it top priority and keep us posted with the progress.

+1 for DTS support. Just purchased Infuse 2 for my iPad to stream off of my NAS, only to find that about half my videos work, the other half are DTS :(.

Yeah just spent 7 bucks on this and realised half my movies won't play with sound. Not sure what the hold up is, I had other apps that could play them no problem. 

No idea what technical issues are involved, but Dolby have a reputation for dragging out negotiations for licensing.

I would like to know what other apps you have that can currently play DTS audio?   All the ones I have had on iOS have withdrawn DTS support when Dolby chased them for not having licensed DTS from them.

[quote="itimpi"]

No idea what technical issues are involved, but Dolby have a reputation for dragging out negotiations for licensing.

I would like to know what other apps you have that can currently play DTS audio?   All the ones I have had on iOS have withdrawn DTS support when Dolby chased them for not having licensed DTS from them.

[/quote]

the app i used to stream/download from my SMB share is FileExplorer. and I'm certain the DTS movies i tried worked fine on it, while getting the error in Infuse. I'm not sure if it does some type of transcoding or anything before playing?  I'll give it another try tonight just to make sure.

EDIT: Yep just tried two files that wouldn’t play audio in Infuse, worked fine in FileExplorer.

[quote="itimpi"]

[/quote]

Dolby has no connection to or involvement in DTS. The DTS sound system is owned by DTS Inc., a public company. Dolby does not have a bad reputation for licensing (Infuse and many other apps have DolbyDigital licenses), it's DTS Inc. that has a bad reputation.

[quote="barrist"]

the app i used to stream/download from my SMB share is FileExplorer. and I'm certain the DTS movies i tried worked fine on it, while getting the error in Infuse. I'm not sure if it does some type of transcoding or anything before playing?  I'll give it another try tonight just to make sure.

EDIT: Yep just tried two files that wouldn't play audio in Infuse, worked fine in FileExplorer. [/quote]

There's lots of opensource software out there to decode DTS, but to do so legally, you need a license. Barely anybody bothers to get a license (DTS Inc. is notoriously difficult to get a license from), so most apps that support DTS are illegal. FileExplorer doesn't mention DTS support anywhere on their website or AppStore description, nor do they display any DTS logos, so it's likely illegal. I suspect DTS Inc. hasn't called them out on it because they don't advertise the fact they support it.

EDIT: I should clarify that this may not even be intentional on FileExplorer’s part. They may handle all audio by just dumping it into a third-party decoder library, which happens to support DTS. They may not even realize they support DTS or that they need a license to distribute their app if it does so.

Not sure why I thought Dolby owned DTS licenses - but I guess the issue I mentioned still applies..

All the IOS media player apps I have owned that used to have DTS support were updated to remove it when the authors were chased about not having licensed use of the codec.  None of them have yet re-introduced DTS support.   In their case it is obviously not a technical issue as they already had DTS support working - and then withdrew it.

It is likely that the File Explorer app mentioned has fallen through the cracks as it is not obviously a media player.

Given that DTS likely costs a lot of money, if it means forking Infuse to a v3 with the cost of the DTS license factored in I think that would be the way to go.

Offer a low cost upgrade to v2 owners if possible.

Granted some people might not be happy with that but I think if thats the blocker then that is really the only way to go, you could keep v2 around for those who don't care but if most upgrade to v3 then you could stop supporting v2.

This is also my main request. Almost all files files are encoded with DTS. Having to convert 95% of my media library on a NAS is not optimal :S

Can you give a rough ETA? Is it weeks away, a few months or 2014/2015?

I do not mean to sound pessimistic, but if you look at their posts in the forum, and other forumns, Firecore has been saying "soon" ... or "we are trying for the next release" ... for a good year (literally) now.

Do not get me wrong.  I actively use the Infuse app on my iPad ... LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!  Airplay rocks.

Just do NOT expect DTS anytime "soon" unfortunately :(

A bit of transparency into the roadmap would be good to manage user expectations...

Maybe make DTS a payed upgrade in 2.x and free in 3.0 or 3.5 or something like that. Paying 5 bucks vs converting my entire library by hand... I'd gladly pay the 5 bucks!

DTS is more important to me than the bugs I encounter while using the app...

[quote="Lezz"]

A bit of transparency into the roadmap would be good to manage user expectations...

Maybe make DTS a payed upgrade in 2.x and free in 3.0 or 3.5 or something like that. Paying 5 bucks vs converting my entire library by hand... I'd gladly pay the 5 bucks!

DTS is more important to me than the bugs I encounter while using the app...

[/quote]

I really think the $7 pro upgrade ought to be enough to entitle the user to DTS, especially if the developer has again and again said it is "one of the top things" its working on.  $7 ain't much in the grand scheme of things but in the app world that's a pretty big ask, especially for a media app of which there is alot of competition.