I use Infuse on my Mac Mini and my Apple TV 4K. My files are located on an external SSD connected to my Mac Mini, and I use an SMB share. Everything’s been working fine until tonight. Last night, my wife and I were watching a show on the ATV upstairs and had to stop in the middle of it. When we went to resume it this evening, I suddenly got “an error occurred loading this content”. When attempting to scan for changes in the library on the ATV, it said “Indexing failed” for SMB.
So I went downstairs and attempted to play a few different things on Infuse on my Mac, with the same results. I restarted the computer, and even updated to the latest version of Infuse that just came out today (7.5.3), and no change. Indexing failed. Although if I go to any of my movies/tv shows in Finder and “open with” Infuse, the content loads and plays just fine.
So then I open Infuse on my iPhone (which I never use to watch content, but have it there “just in case”). And lo and behold, it indexes just fine and lets me watch everything without issue.
I don’t understand why Infuse on iOS is encountering no issues, while both my Mac and my ATV can’t seem to index properly so I can watch on those devices, especially when it was working just fine last night and nothing has changed since then. I don’t know where to begin to try to resolve this.