If you FTP content can u view it with the Apple TV interface

Hi - I would like to put movies on the external drive via FTP but don’t want them also stored in iTunes (relax they are backed up on another computer…)

So I want to FTP them over but I want to use the standard ATV interface. Is it possible to access movies FTP’ed via this or do you need to use one of the installed applications?

(For the record they will also be on an external drive - could I just plug the drive into my Mac and copy them over?)

Thanks

Glenn.

Yes, file can be transferred to the external drive via FTP. When connected via FTP the external drive will be visible inside the Movies folder. Files transferred via FTP can be viewed using any of the added aTV Flash menu items.

Unfortunately the only way to view the files through the standard Apple menu items is to sync them through iTunes.

Unfortunately the only way to view the files through the standard Apple menu items is to sync them through iTunes.

That’s a shame as the interface is easy to use (for everyone) and it would free up the space on my Mac’s internal HDD.

FTPing to the external storage is not working - I am using Transmit on the Mac. This is what I get:

Connected to AppleTV.local. Cmd: USER frontrow 331: User frontrow OK. Password required Cmd: PASS xxxxxxxx 230: User frontrow has group access to: 81 80 79 501 OK. Current directory is / Logged in to AppleTV.local as frontrow. Cmd: SYST 215: UNIX Type: L8 Cmd: PWD 257: "/" is your current location Cmd: CWD /Updates 250: OK. Current directory is /Updates Cmd: PWD 257: "/Updates" is your current location Cmd: CWD /Movies 250: OK. Current directory is /Movies Cmd: PASV 227: Entering Passive Mode (10,0,1,4,142,23) Cmd: LIST -a 150: Accepted data connection 226: Options: -a -l 4 matches total drwxr-xr-x 4 501 501 136 Dec 12 01:46 . drwxr-xr-x 13 501 501 442 Dec 22 13:48 .. lrwxr-xr-x 1 0 501 43 Dec 12 01:46 External Media -> /mnt/Scratch/Volumes/MediaHD/External Media lrwxr-xr-x 1 501 501 32 Dec 12 01:44 Untitled222 -> /mnt/Scratch/Volumes/Untitled222 Cmd: CWD /Movies/External Media 250: OK. Current directory is /Movies/External Media Cmd: CWD /Movies 250: OK. Current directory is /Movies Cmd: CWD External Media 250: OK. Current directory is /Movies/External Media Cmd: CWD External Media 550: Can't change directory to External Media: No such file or directory Cmd: CWD External Media 550: Can't change directory to External Media: No such file or directory

I’ve not tried to use the “External Media”. Instead I used symbolic links to get this to work (with non-iTunes content in my case)
See my post here for details: http://forum.atvflash.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2376&p=9952&hilit=external+storage#p9952

You may want to ensure the ‘Maintenance’ option is up to date. Check for updates through the Maintenance → Manage Plugins menu.