I want to see DTS HD MA or Dolby True HD words at my AVR' led screen

Hello,
Is it possible?
How?
I can see only PCM word at AVR’s led screen, while choiced that hd audio formats via Drop down menu screen…
Please dont write as " PCM and DTS hd ma or dolbyTrue hd have the same quality, same thing"
I want to see “DTS HD MA” word at AVR’s led screen if my movie has and while ı choice it.
Thanks

3 Likes

Apple didnt pay for the license, and will never intend to stream lossless (too big), so you will never.

You’ll need to wait until Apple updates the ATV4K to support Atmos. When that happens we might see some changes that would allow them to pass lossless tracks, so we’ll be waiting patiently.

Not exactly true. ATMOS is old school Dolby compression with extra height channels. ATMOS TreuHD is lossless with height channels. I highly doubt Apple cares to pay for lossless audio license as they will never stream it. Too big.

Doubt you will ever see any DTS light right as Apple is a Dolby shop for their streams.

The actual reason Infuse can’t send it is that lossless tracks require a sample rate of 192kHz and the max supported on the Apple TV is 48kHz. When Apple adds Atmos passthrough support (yes, they’ll be using it on EAC-3 tracks not TrueHD tracks), they could end up bumping that up to 192kHz and we’d see apps like Infuse able to do the same thing they use to get DTS/Dolby Digial passthrough for the lossless track.

So are we losing audio fidelity after all with the PCM decoded output?

I also see some rips of mine with lossless Atmos have 24 bit Audio. I’m not sure the Apple TV can output that either.

No, it does 24bit last time I checked. The most ridiculous soundtrack I have seen in terms of “spec” so far is Transformers. I have yet to see anything above 48khz unless its ridiculous master release of stereo song albums. Just because the spec goes well above 48Khz does not mean content will be delivered so.

Again, look at that size. This will never be streamed, way too large if you go lossless audio.

Audio
ID : 2
ID in the original source medi : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : TrueHD
Format profile : TrueHD+Atmos / TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 2 h 34 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 298 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 6 528 kb/s
Channel(s) : Object Based / 8 channels
Channel positions : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : / 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 4.64 GiB (6%)

As for the “light”, does it really matter, the quality is the same. These are all just compression formats, doesn’t matter who “unzips” the audio to ultimate PCM, Infuse or the receiver, its the same audio.

Yesterday I installed my new AV Receiver (Sony Str-dn1080), and all I can see on a receiver screen is Dolby Digital, not PCM. Of course I followed Infuse guidelines on how to set the sound: Auto in infuse and Best Quality Available on Apple TV settings, but unlike my old receiver which showed PCM, here is not the case. What can be cause of this? Why is infuse not sending PCM or… maybe it is, but AVR is displaying it like Dolby Digital. ?

Vel.

Not sure I understand the “too big” comment. The video streams are typically much larger than the audio streams. And the ATV4K has an extremely powerful CPU.
Are you referring to streaming TO the ATV4K from the internet, or FROM the ATV4K over HDMI 2.0? In either case, I don’t understand where the size limitation resides.