I tried EVERYTHING... issues with some files with local streaming

Hello,

(TL;DR there are some files which I have trouble streaming - audio issues and more)
It’s been a long 5 years ride me trying to make local network streaming work.
Emby, Jellyfin, Plex, NAS via router, dedicated PC, WiFi, Ethernet, and much much more configurations I tried throughout the years.
Now I bought an Apple TV to try Infuse, hoping it will work, as my latest attempt, Plex, had some issues. Unfortunately I experience the same issues now with Infuse (Although it’s faster I must admit).

My current configuration is:
I have a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB RAM and 4 CPU cores (ARM based),
Connected to an external HDD WD Elements 14TB,
And my devices wired connected with a 1GB switch.

There are some files I try to stream which have some issues - Sometimes it’s about video and sometimes about audio.
Yesterday, for example, I tried to play the movie “Prey” in 4K Dolby Vision, and after 5 minutes the audio suddenly died…

  • I know it’s not a TV issue because if I connect the HDD via USB directly to the TV with the built-in player, it works fine.
  • I know it’s not a file issue because of the above
  • I know it’s not a streaming issue because if I connect with SMB with my PC and play it, it works fine.

There must be SOMETHING but I can’t find what it is.
I’m starting to think it might be a transcoding issue, but as far as I know, Infuse doesn’t transcode nor audio neither video. (right?)

Any help finding the issue would be highly appreciated. Maybe there is a test tool I can run in Infuse while the issue occurs that run some analysis?

I really want to have the ability to local stream my movies without having to be afraid of issues.

Thank you very much in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

Correct, Infuse plays the file direct.

You can run a speed test to see if there’s something going on with the network speeds.

You may want to run a couple of those problematic files through the free app “mediainfo” and post the results here in this thread. :wink:

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

So I ran a speed test and it seems fine - I get 420Mbps-ish. Which is basically almost the max speed of the external HDD (which of course bottleneck my 1GB wired connection).
Thing is, I tried running one of the problematic file and suddenly it worked fine :expressionless:
After all these years I’m not sure anymore what the problem exactly is.
Is there any “perfect” configuration/setup recommended that I might try? maybe an already existing tutorial post in this forum?
I was looking through some of the posts and there were some debates whether using NFS/SMB/FTP, for example. I’m sure there might be other “best things” I can do.

Since I do my own NAS implementation (Raspberry Pi connected wired across the house),
I can install whatever software I want to.
Maybe it’s all about how to configure my setup after all… and after that this post might be closed if finally I’d be able to run everything without any issues.

Thanks again!

That should be more than adequate for just about any file type so your problems shouldn’t be speed.

That said, it sounds like your problems may be related to the files themselves. If you get a problem again run that file through mediainfo and post the results here.

One other thing, you didn’t say if you were using the internal speakers for your TV or if you had an external sound system. Sometimes receivers get confused when a video changes formats in mid play so that could be a possibility.

The “perfect” set up is the one that works best for “you”. With all of the variables including local networking, TV type, file types, setting preferences on all of these, and your personal choice on “what looks best” the “perfect” set up can be different for every user.

It sounds like you’re pretty close to having things dialed in so if you have more problems we can look at details from the file to carry it further. :+1: