I spent days trying to get my ATV 2G just into DFU Mode, please HELP ME!!

Hey guys,
I couldn't get my ATV 2G into DFU Mode at all after buying aTV Flash & prepairing for jailbreak to make it perfect :(
I used Seas0nPass & Sn0wbreeze & PwnageTool & even iTunes itself with no luck!! (using latest versions)

ATV2 iOS = 4.2.1 (4.3), iTunes= 10.2.1, tried Micro-USB with & without power cord connected by following instructions many times!!

I'd be much appreciated if you can figure it out cause I'm hopeless

Thanks alot & Best Regards

Salaam

When you plug the ATV2 into your PC/Mac using the micro USB cable (no power connected) does iTunes see the ATV2 and offer to restore it? If not, then your problem is almost certainly the micro USB cable. A lot of people seemto have problems getting a micro USB cable that works. I think one problem is that a lot of cables are designed for charging only, and do not support data transfer as well. Having said that I have several micro USB cables that purport to be of the same spec, but only one of them works when trying to jailbreak my ATV2.

[quote="itimpi"] When you plug the ATV2 into your PC/Mac using the micro USB cable (no power connected) does iTunes see the ATV2 and offer to restore it? If not, then your problem is almost certainly the micro USB cable. A lot of people seemto have problems getting a micro USB cable that works. I think one problem is that a lot of cables are designed for charging only, and do not support data transfer as well. Having said that I have several micro USB cables that purport to be of the same spec, but only one of them works when trying to jailbreak my ATV2. [/quote]

My iTunes doesn't recognize ATV2 using my micro usb cable

I also thought the problem is with the cable itself so I'm getting another one today & hope it works :)

I Can't thank you enough for your valuable info, thanks man you're the best ;)

HI Guys,

I have the same issue trying to JB the ATV. But, the difference is my micro usb cord works, as I have opened itunes and can se the ATV. When I follow the JB Seasonpass instructions, my ATV does not enter DFU mode. 

If anyone has experience this and knows the solution, help!?

regards,

B

If you're having trouble entering DFU, you may try the steps below once you're at the 'Waiting for DFU' step.

1. Disconnect AppleTV from USB. 
  2. Reconnect, and wait for the rapid flashing light. 
  3. Hold the menu and play/pause buttons together for 7 seconds (count slowly - one thousand 1, one thousand 2, one thousand 3, etc...)

OK, Seasonpass is waiting for the DFU mode, I hold the play/menu buttons for 7 seconds, after about 3 seconds the ATV lights start to flash, I finish the 7 seconds and release, and Seasonpass is still waiting for the ATV to enter DFU. At this point, I try to dissconnect the USB and reconnect it only to try the process again. Nothing seems to effect the ATV to enter DFU. 

Unfortunately, no rapid flashing lights after connecting the USB. The only flashing lights are after I press the play/menu buttons for a few seconds, but as i pointed out, that effects nothing.

Its too bad really- forums have multiple approaches and some methods work for others, but I'm siding with the fact I lost $20 on this. Not a big loss, but when this process is worked out in the future, I'll try again.

BH

Same problem itunes recorgnises the conection via my usb cable.Have tried everything sugested on this forum in my opinion this product simply does not work very disapointed to have wasted money 

MW

Samething for me i have try everything with 3 different cable ,power on and off ,i dont know what ATV flash did to my apple tv but now that i'm on 4,3,1 nothing is qorking error 21 -1600-1601-1602 and other code no realy help from this site only bull...

If you're getting errors during the iTunes restore process please view the thread here.

http://forum.firecore.com/topic/4328

I've had a lot of problems getting the aTV2 into DFU mode when using SeasonPass to either jailbreak or perform a tehered boot. To be clear, if you do not see the light on the front of the aTV2 start flashing very rapidly - and I mean very rapidly, so fast that you cannot count the blinks per second - then the software is likely not going to detect the device in DFU mode when you release. The fix I've found that works for me almost every time is (assuming you have a usb cable that works):

1. Follow the SeasonPass instructions up to the point where you are asked to hold down the menu and play/pause buttons for seven seconds.

2. If the light on the device doesn't start flashing very rapidly after holding those buttons for seven seconds (and SeasonPass doesn't detect the aTV2 in DFU mode when you release) then hold down the down direction on the "d-pad" on the remote and the menu button for seven seconds. You should see the light start flashing very rapidly after the seven seconds, then release. 

3. Imediately hold down the menu and play/pause buttons now for seven seconds and you should see the light start flashing rapidly on the aTV2.

4. Release the buttons and SeasonPass should now pick up the aTV2 in DFU mode after a couple of seconds.

Holding the down direction and the menu buttons for seven second reboots the aTV2 (I think) and this has always worked to get the device into DFU mode for me.

when seasonpass is waiting for the device to enter DFU, plug the USB then wait for the superfast blink, then PLUG THE POWER CORD, then press the 2 buttons on the remote… it should work as it worked for me now.

Hello all,

Micro USB cord works, but can’t get into DFU mode.

Tried the power cord and tried the direction button techniques mentioned above - sadly still can’t get ATV2 into DFU mode  :frowning:

Firecore haven’t replied to my help request. :frowning:

Anyone else got any ideas (I’m afraid I have none)?:frowning:

Thanks in advance.

This product is not professional, too many problems for too many people with the Jailbreak process. It is a complete waste of time and money … The results if you are the lucky one are very good, but it’s so difficult to arrive there with success … Jailbreak should be easier like on iPhone&iPad … Then this would be surely a “must have …”

Whats the issue you people are having? I never run into problem with Jailbreak. The only issue I have with Jailbreaks errors are when I am trying to downgrade the firmware.

Don’t know if the cable is the culprit behind all of this but I used the cable came with my wife’s samsung galaxy and it is always through.

This is what I do.

1-before Jailbreaking, always restore the original firmware, I just like it that way.

2-I never plug out the used cable while seasonpass is downloading/de-crypting the firmware.

3- when it ask me to hold meu+play for 7, I do that, then itune open either auto or manual. I prefer manually, hold “shift key” and browse to my document for the firmware.

4- everything always went well.

It does seem like getting into dfu mode has become more difficult lately.  I have 2 ATV2’s.  Both were JB with Seasonpass.  The first one was NO problem whatsoever.  However, the second, which I have jailbroken twice now, was VERY tricky to get into dfu mode.  I personally believe it is low voltage through the usb mini cables.  I have been able to make the unit go into dfu mode using the power cable ONLY briefly, to get into dfu mode, and then unplugging it again.  Otherwise, you get an error upon completion.

I agree about the Micro USB cable, I have 3 that seem to work but only if I connect the power cord to get into DFU

I think the main problem is I am using a Windows Laptop and they only give out 500ma max whereas the macs can give up to 2a

I ended up getting my nephew over with his Macbook and it worked first time

Why cant Apple sell a Micro USB cable, they ell everything else and it would have been nice to have one in the box, I’m sure they could have nicely coiled it up somewhere

Ronnie

BTW Thanks for the update, Ive been without my ATV2 for a couple of weeks

I found I get a better result if:

1. I use the back port on my macbook pro

2. I hold down the buttons, THEN plug in the ATV (which is fun with just 2 hands!)

I tend to put the ATV on one side of the laptop trackpad, and the remote on the other. press and hold the buttons with my right hand, and plug in the USB with the left. Worked 2nd time this time - took 30-45 mins of messing around last time! 

I was having the same problems with usb cables too I juat bought one from Boyes its an Mini A To Micro B now my apple2tv works when i plug it in and itunes finds it too

Happydays!

thanks to your information

Big Thank You!

FINALLY !!! thanks fayce… you just ended 3 days of frustration  :)

Yep, power cord method worked for me. Ya’ll should add this to the instructions.