I faced a huge mess and inconsistency related to the posters for TV series folders in the Files section of Infuse. Sometimes posters are present, sometimes are missing. I did some research to find out how Infuse works in different cases and here is what I found.
First of all, all my TV series are named according to the rules (‘Metadata 101’ page) and are correctly recognized in the Home/Library section, so what I described seems to be an issue only for the Files section and only for TV series, because movies are always displayed as expected.
Let’s assume we have 3 items in the folder:
- Movie ‘Gladiator (2000)’.
- TV series ‘Chernobyl (2019)’ with a single season, without season folder.
- TV series ‘Jack Ryan (2018)’ with two seasons in the individual season folders called in Russian.
Folders tree and Files section look like this:
As we can see, movie is correctly recognized with poster and description, however, both TV series folders don’t have posters, naming and description. At the same time, individual episodes are correctly recognized in both cases:
I started testing why posters are missing for TV series folders, because I clearly remember that they were present some time ago. After some research I found that the only way to get it to work is to have season folders strictly be named in English as ‘Season X’:
This is very confusing, because official rules state that season folders can be named in arbitrary way (of even be missing) if episodes have SxxExx indicators. I have all files in my collection named in Russian and it looks weird to have season folders be named in English. This looks like an unnecessary limitation, especially when TV series are anyway correctly recognized in the Home/Library section.
Another issue I see is a different behavior with the Grid View:
As we can see:
- Movie is correctly recognized.
- TV series WITHOUT season folder seems to be recognized as a single season.
- TV series WITH season folders doesn’t have an artwork even with English naming ‘Season X’.
At the same time, individual season folders are recognized only in the Grid View:
- TV series folders have an artwork ONLY when season folders are present and are named in English strictly as ‘Season X’. This is a huge limitation for users with collection named in different language.
- Season folders have an artwork ONLY in the Grid View.
- TV series without inner season folders are recognized as an individual season folder in the Grid View.
Do you think these are an issues to be fixed?