Howto: Bluetooth Keyboard (5.01)

Also note, if you have an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) there are various remote control applications you can use that have support for the onscreen keyboard in various ATV apps.  And they work via WiFi (not Bluetooth, or IR.)  So for general AppleTV stuff, I use Apple’s own “Remote” application and for anything inside the XBMC environment I use one called “XBMC Constellation.”  There are a few for XBMC, and not all support the onscreen keyboard, and not all that do support the onscreen keyboard do so in a reliable manner.  XBMC Constellation has worked best for me.

Awsome Fofer! I had no idea about XBMC Constellation. I will try it out with my iPod touch.

Great guide. Works like a charm.

Quick question regarding using the Apple wireless keyboard. The “esc” key on the Apple keyboard gives the “MENU” function of the remote. Is it possible to map the play/pause key and the central select button so that these functions can be used from the keyboard?

Andrew

worked great with my apple keyboard.  however… anyone noticed when entering text, like in youtube’s search function, when you hit the spacebar you actually enter the letter under the cursor?  any workaround??  it seems im out of a spacebar…  of course i could just go with my appletv remote and select “space” but it would defeat the whole point if i have to back and forth between the 2 devices everytime i finish typing a single word…

thanks

Hi Sebastien, I noticed the same thing when using Youtube. Instead of switching to the Apple remote to make a space, I use the arrows on the keyboard to toggle down to select “space” on the screen. Then when i hit the spacebar it will make a space. Not the most efficient solution, but better than using two devices.

So long as your already jailbroken, I’d also suggest installing the new AirControl.

It’s super sweet, and I love being able to control my AppleTV from my MacBook Pro.  (And it will be even cooler when I get a smaller MacBook Air.)

Full remote control, via the network, not via Bluetooth or IR or RF.

I also lets you enter text, via the Mac’s keyboard.

Hello – I am not using this any longer and would like to know how to REMOVE it.  Just guessing, but would it be

apt-get --purge remove  ch.ringwald.keyboard-atv

apt-get --purge remove org.tomcool.btstack-ui

killall AppleTV

???

Well I have tried this time after time, I get to “Enter 0000” I have tried to sync an Apple keyboard and after-market with no pairing.  I am running Apple software version 5.02 (4250) with the latest Firecore update…

Has anyone had success getting a BT keyboard to Pair with the software combo?

Never mind got to work…  Needed to remove Nito TV and BT stack…

I followed your instructions but wasn’t able to get it to work.

Now my apple tv refuses to obtain an IP from my router. I cannot get on the internet anymore on my atv2. Any help?

I’ve been fighting with this issue for months off and on again. Try it, put it away.try it, put it away

I get as far as the packets on my pairing to my Apple keyboard. 0000 Then no pairing shows up. I have done this over and over with the keyboard blinking yet no PAIRING line in Putty.

Having issue with 5.0.2. When I try to pair apple keyboard with the SSH process I get stuck on the 0000 pairing step. 

Nothing happens. I saw that I might need to remove NITO and BT stack. Can anyone post any steps to get it to work. This is really frustrating. I’ve spent the las week trying everything without any success.