How to Update a Jailbroken ATV 2 with 5.0.2 to 5.3 or even 6.0?

Well, I’ve tweaked out my ATV2 over the past year and it’s been running great.  If memory serves me I used Seas0nPass and then SSHed a few times to add XBMC along with a ton of other things. I’ve been reading about the new 6.0 so I thought I’d look into it and did a bunch of research.  The problem is that I’m running 5.0.2 and I can’t seem to figure out how to update/upgrade without having to re-jailbreak the entire mess again.  Is there a way to update without starting over again?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is no way to update withoutt having to re-jalbreak and re-install addons. PLEASE NOTE… 6.0 doesn’t have a jailbreak yet and 5.3 is tethered.

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I was dreading. I just got excited when I read this: Apple TV updated with Disney Channel, Disney XD, Vevo, Weather Channel and Smithsonian apps As of now I won’t really gain much anyway since TWC won’t allow Disney apps and the iTunes Radio isn’t until 6.0. Guess I’ll leave it be until they really open it up for apps. Then I’ll spend a weekend setting it up again.

Upon further investigation I found this page on how to back up XBMC database, playlist, thumbnails, addons and other configuration details.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XBMC_Backup

Here’s a video on it

Once you get the back up to run you may want to put the files onto DROPBOX… this is how to set it up:

1. You will need to sign-up for you own developer app key and secret by visiting dropbox.com/developers/apps

2. Choose the API one

3. Name your app whatevery you want, and make it an “App Folder” type application. Your app can run in developer mode and you should never need to apply for production status. This is to get around Dropbox’s rule not allow distribution of production key/secret pairs.

4. Once you have your app key and secret add them to the XBMC Backup settings.

5. XBMC Backup now needs to have permission to access your Dropbox account. When you see the prompt regarding the Dropbox URL Authorization DO NOT click OK.

6. On you computer use your favorite SCP program, I use WinSCP.

7. Once connected to your ATV go to /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences and open xbmc.log. Check your XBMC log file for a line from “script.xbmcbackup” (should be at bottom of file) containing the authorization URL.

8. Cut/paste this into a browser and click Allow.

9. Once this is done you can click “OK” in XBMC and proceed as normal.

10. Done

NOTE: In XBMC backup you may want to mark the run in background option so you can keep using your ATV. Back up takes a long time.

Also, you may want to be ready to read your log file ASAP because dropbox will time out the link if you take too long. If it does just try your backup again to get another link.