After being far from satisified with the information on the Metadata 101 support page I’ve spent the last day learning the ins and outs of Infuse’s detection system by messing around and would like to share my findings as it has resulted in an incredibly clean and perfectly working automatic fetching library:
- Tip 1 - Take out certain punctuation from your TV Show's folder
- eg. Key & Peele = Key and Peele
- eg. Eastbound & Down = Eastbound and Down
- eg. Mr. Robot = Mr Robot
- eg. The Venture Bros. = The Venture Bros
- eg. Seth MacFarlane's Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy = Seth MacFarlanes Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy
- Bonus tip, if you have that particular collection as one file, put it in the folder "Season 1" (goes against Tip 2's advice) - I just figured this out while making this post
- Tip 2 - Go to thetvdb.com and name your files and folders in accordance to their numbering
- eg. Archer = Archer (2009)
- eg. root\Curb Your Enthusiasm\Specials\Curb Your Enthusiasm - s0e01 - etc.xxx
- Noteable exceptions
- Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! = Tim and Eric
- David Attenborough's Kingdom of Plants 3D = Kingdom of Plants
- The Seth MacFarlane's Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy "special" needs to be in the Season 1 folder and named with "s0e01" in the filename
- Tip 3 - Remove any sub-folders from within your season sub-folders
- Tip 4 - Be careful with each show's episode's naming structure, keep it consistent!
- Make sure the file has the show name and a Season/Episode value right after it, eg s04e01, 4x01, ep24</strong
- Note: to use absolute ordering you must also name the show the same as Infuse have chosen for their name of the absolute ordered version, eg. for the Anime Samurai Champloo, sticking to s01eXX proved to be the best, but if I were to use absolute ordering I would need to use "Samurai Chanpurû EPXX"
- For correct season sorting copy your favourite (if different) naming scheme across all of the show's seasons:
- use the same spacing: full stops/spaces/underscores
- consider the characters immediately after the season/episode portion
- Tip 1 - File name!
- Strip everything out of the file name except for the title, nicely spaced with a year at the end in brackets
- eg. The Sound of Music[720x436]AC3[6ch][Eng].xxx = The Sound of Music (1965).xxx - This caused me no end of grief and was initially picked up as a tv show due to having the resolution inside and the metadata search was stuck on TV Shows only, bad Infuse!
- Doing simply this in the end actually resolved 95% of issues with movies
- Tip 2 - Same as tip 3 above, delete all sub-folders. It's ok to have zips or anything in the movie's folder, but no sub folders
- Tip 3 - Put alternate cuts in seperate folders and give them a unique folder.jpg file if required.The metadata for most alternate cuts/versions won't be found. I haven't investigated making custom XML files too much but it seems that for best results name the XML file the same as the movie file and use the structure on the Metadata 101 page
I hope this helps a lot of you out! It’s been annoying but incredibly rewarding finding out how janky and particular Infuse can be but when you know how to push its buttons just right, the results are certainly worth it.