[How To] Apple TV2 5.1 Jailbreak Guide

Hi all,

Thought I’d write up a guide for you folks that want to jailbreak your ATV2 on 5.1. Bare in mind, this is a tethered jailbreak.

[Pre-Requisite Downloads]:

[What you need]

• Apple TV 2
  • Micro USB Cable
  • PC
  • Seas0nPass
  • Putty

[Step 1 – Jailbreak]

• At this point, don't have anything plugged into the computer yet
  • Launch Seas0nPass
  • Click 'Create IPSW'
  • Wait for Seas0nPass to download iOS 5.1
  • The software will then proceed to patch and jailbreak the downloaded firmware
  • Once complete, Seas0nPass will say 'Waiting for device to enter DFU mode'
  • Connect your microUSB to the Apple TV and computer USB Port
  • Using your remote, hold Menu and Play / Pause at the same time for 7 seconds then release
  • If you performed the above step correctly, Seas0nPass should say 'Found device in DFU mode' and will upload a few files to the device
  • Once complete, iTunes will automatically launch and the script will automatically restore the device, uploading the jailbroken iOS firmware
  • Wait until iTunes advises that the restore is complete

[Step 2 – Boot Tethered]

• Exit from iTunes
  • In Seas0nPass, click Boot Tethered
  • Seas0nPass is now waiting for your device to be in DFU mode
  • Remove the Micro USB cable from the back of the Apple TV
  • Reconnect the Micro USB cable back into the Apple TV
  • Wait until the light at the front of the Apple TV blinks fast
  • Connect the Power Cable to the back of the Apple TV
  • Using your remote, hold Menu and Play / Pause at the same time for 7 seconds then release
  • If you performed the above step correctly, Seas0nPass should say 'Found device in DFU mode' and will upload a few files to the device
  • Click OK in Seas0nPass
  • Disconnect the Micro USB Cable (NOT the power cable) from the back of the Apple TV
  • Connect the HDMI Cable to the back of the Apple TV
  • Turn your TV on, and confirm that the device boots up fine, and that you see the 'FC' logo on the home screen

[Step 3 – Optional – Nito TV]

• On the Apple TV, go to Settings-> General -> About
  • Note down the IP Address written there
  • Launch Putty
  • In the Host Name field, enter your IP Address, Leave Port as default (22)
  • Click Open
  • It will take a while, and a warning prompt will pop up – Click yes to proceed
  • You should see 'Login as'. Type in root
  • When prompted for the password, type alpine
  • Type in the following to the letter: - echo deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org ./ > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list - apt-get update - apt-get install com.nito.nitoTV - killall Lowtide
  • Now we have to boot in tethered mode again
  • Remove the power cable from the back of the Apple TV
  • Launch Seas0nPass
  • Click OK in Seas0nPass
  • Disconnect the Micro USB Cable (NOT the power cable) from the back of the Apple TV
  • You should now see Nito TV in the menu
  • While you're here, go to Settings -> General -> Activate Standby, and set it to 'Never'

[Step 4 – Install XBMC]

• Launch Putty
  • In the Host Name field, enter your IP Address, Leave Port as default (22)
  • Click Open
  • It will take a while, and a warning prompt will pop up – Click yes to proceed
  • You should see 'Login as'. Type in root
  • When prompted for the password, type alpine
  • Type in the following to the letter: - apt-get update - mkdir -p /Applications/AppleTV.app/Appliances - apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 - mkdir -p /Applications/XBMC.frappliance - wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14341410/org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-3_iphoneos-arm.deb - dpkg -i org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-3_iphoneos-arm.deb - rm org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-3_iphoneos-arm.deb
  • Now we have to boot in tethered mode again
  • Remove the power cable from the back of the Apple TV
  • Launch Seas0nPass
  • Click OK in Seas0nPass
  • You should now see XBMC in the menu

Cheers!

Play and Pause are the same buttons. You’re forgetting about the Menu button. I achieve DFU mode every time successfully by holding Menu & Play/Pause then plugging the USB cable into the Apple TV.

Here’s a video to go along with those instructions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX1bsSL9bUw

I got through step 2 but the ATV wifi doesn’t seem to be working as it won’t pick up any networks. It did before the jailbreak.

Thats really strange, not sure why that would be? You can’t see any wifi netowrks in settings?

Nope, no networks. Even if I try specifying my network it doesn’t ever find it. It’s as if the antenna has been shut off.

I’m not the only person with this problem: 

Apologies, I wrote this while at work :D. Updated.

Thanks for the great step by step instructions.

One question, I have successfully done steps 1 and 2, I have a HDMI monitor connected and I can see the Apple TV menu with the FC instead of Settings. But then I need to move my Apple TV near my TV so I disconnect everything, including power and when I connect the Apple TV and power it back on, now I get the iTunes and USB cable screen on my TV…

I guess this mean that I have to do the jailbreak near my TV and never power off the Apple TV anymore. Right?

Then what happens if I switch off the Apple TV, I also guess the Apple TV will go back into iTunes+USB screen? Then should I restart from Step 1 or can I start just from Step 2? If from Step 2, will my changes (xmbc or other apps) be kept or have to be reinstalled?

Thanks for the answer.

olykid

That’s because this JB is currently only available ‘Tethered’. If you remove the mains power at any time, you will have to connect the ATV back to your PC/Laptop, and boot tethered again.

You can turn off the ATV with the remote, but DON’T unplug it from the mains power.

Note that if the ATV2 loses power then you do NOT want to repeat the jailbreak - just the tethered boot stage.

As long as you take that approach then your installed software and setting will survive.   It is the stage of applying the jailbreak via the restore in iTunes that wipes the apps and settings from the ATV2, so you do not want to do that if it is not needed.

Ok, got it.

I guess this is now clear, in case of power cable removal or power cut, re-run step 2.

And I can put the ATV into sleep mode, which is good as I set it up to “never”.

Thanks for the replies.

olykid

The IPSW stage works for me but after the itunes restore, the done button is greyed out. I manually quit Seas0npass. Then when I relaunch and selecte

Boot tethered, I get the following message -

Your device is not compatible with this exploit…

can anyone help please!

Right click on boot tethered - you should see 5.1 come up?

JUST TRIED THAT, STILL RECEIVING THE SAME MESSAGE.

Do you have a second generation apple tv?

Yes, bought it today. Think it’s 5.0 but still won’t work

If you bought it today, it’s most likely the third generation apple tv. There is no jailbreak out for that yet…

Will XBMC work on this tethered jailbreak? and livetv/stream etc…

Is there a way to tell??

Yep! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-GLwh0EzFA