How do you disable Picture-in-Picture on tvOS

This is incorrect. It is an OS feature, but as a developer you can choose to adopt it or choose not to.

For the majority of people - particularly on Apple TV - it is not a useful feature. It severely compromises the playback screen. Everyone I spoken to about the way that screen now works in Infuse thinks it is a ‘serious bug’.

3 Likes

I agree, and I’ve asked a few people what the think about it… ‘serious bug’ was the consensus. The way the trackpad pointer is essentially captured by the PIP button with no obvious way it has happened

3 Likes

PiP is an absolute useless Feature! I don’t understand why Firecore has implemented this and give us no choice to disable this trash… the Button is annoying and the use of a tiny Window is really dubious :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

1 Like

Well I don’t see a use-case for it - even if the implementation didn’t destroy the once-great playback screen. But maybe there are some that do?

Anyone want to defend PiP? What do you use it for? How do you use it?

2 Likes

I have created a Suggestion for a Toggle to disable PiP :wink::+1:

Please vote here:

4 Likes

Not defending it (yet) but the ability to see a baby monitor or security cam while watching a video does have an appeal to me.

I guess we’ll see… I have asked.

I don’t see a use for it. I can’t think of a use for it even!

1 Like

Wouldn’t them mean the baby monitor needed to support PiP, though - not Infuse?

3 Likes

No, if you watching a movie and want to check on the child you’d be in Infuse and then bring up the PiP for the baby monitor.

Some Users like this Feature other don’t like it…
But it’s not fair to impose this for all Users…
A Possibility to deactivate PiP is the Solution to please everyone :wink::+1:

3 Likes

Just about EVERY feature in Infuse is not liked or needed by SOMEONE, if every feature was a toggle it’d take the entire app size just for the feature toggle programing.

I get that, but most other new features don’t severely impact on the primary function of the app - playing back media from the user’s storage.

Very interested to hear the rationale for implementing this in Infuse (it didn’t have to be - I have checked).

1 Like

I totally agree that Infuse supports new features from tvOS but please, whenever possible, make available as a setting for the users.

3 Likes

But then video playback pauses on Infuse when the other video stream starts playing (on iPad).

I just don’t get what this feature was intended to do! It takes so much away from Infuse and gives nothing.

It seems to just be a very complicated task switcher that severely compromises the main functionality of the app it is implemented in. :thinking:

Anyone??!

Not sure I understand this. All it does is add a new button (that you don’t have to use) and only when viewing progress bar.

I use it for a monitor
Checking sport scores
Checking progress of an update
Some people don’t watch everything and just have it for background listening: podcasts, howtos, concerts, music videos, audiobooks, even tv shows. Then you can have screensaver or something else going instead.

I can’t see any benefit to this feature. You can’t watch two things at once (literally - it pauses the other video stream).

On Apple TV it ruins the playback mechanism. It is almost impossible to scrub through a video without triggering it, and once you have the (invisible) pointer is captured by the button. On iPad, the button to activate it is tucked away and is not easily activated by accident.

I guess I don’t know why an app developer would want to provide a method - that is easily accidentally triggered - to stop the user using the app, and exit it!

Even Apple don’t use it in their Apple TV apps (WWDC for example).

There might be examples where the feature is useful. But I can’t think of any and it certainly should not be enabled on Apple TV by default.

4 Likes

So you are basically using it as a task switcher?

Also what OS and device are you talking about?

I can’t replicate what you are saying on my iPad - When I move a playing Infuse video to PiP and then pick another video source, it pauses the video and audio infuse is playing.

You could view a webpage and have the video continue playing in the corner, yes. But several of the examples you have listed, I am unable to reproduce. The video/audio pauses and you’d be much better off using the standard task-switching mechanism.

So you are using it purely as a task-switcher (because the Infuse video would pause when the baby monitor video started playing).

This is not a very good reason to enable PiP in Infuse, compromising the playback screen, when the standard task switching action could be used to bring up the baby monitor, and then go back to Infuse.

Good product design is often deciding what to leave out, too.